Stuckwatch Back

I have a watch that I love.  It was a $20 watch from a department store ut it's design is a beatuiful cuff style bracelet.  I know it's not an expensive watch but it's not easily replaced since I haven't found a similar bracelet watch and I really just want to get this one working again.  The problem is I cannot open the back to replace the battery making it useless as a watch and only usable as a bracelet.  There is a notch that you should be able to use a thin blade/knife/screwdriver/chisel to pry open but there isn't enough space to get even the thinest blade under the notch.  How can I open it?  I saw someone else on a different site super glue a bolt nut to the back of a pocket watch so he could have better torque for screwing the back off of a watch.  Would it possibly work to super glue a nut to the back of my watch and then use it for better leverage to pop it off?  It's a stainless steel back... would the super glue even stick enough to use the bolt as a leverage tool?  Any suggestions on other methods I could try to get the back off?  I've changed watch batteries in many watches that I've had over the course of 30 some years I have never had a watch back that I couldn't get something under the notch to pry up.  I have made sure to pull the knob out in case it's one that locks the back in place but that hasn't helped either I can't get anything under that ledge/notch to pry it up.

Hello cassandra581, welcome to the site. This is a great friendly place to share everything horology related.

I'm also new to watches and I'm sorry I can't give you a solution other than to find a thinner blade/knife/screwdriver/chisel (thinner than the ones you've already tried) or alternatively sharpen them a little more until they fit. Whatever you do, please, don't superglue anything to the watch or you will have to heat it to remove/melt the superglue risking spoiling the cuff design.

What I worry about this whole matter is how are you going to put the watch back back on? From your description, it all seems to indicate the back is firmly pressed. Therefore, I'm afraid you will need a watch press to close that watch! Although I've known people using unimaginable resourcefulness (cars, hammers, etc) to close some of those stubborn watches, I wouldn't recommend those -- elsewhere documented -- procedures since again, the bracelet will suffer.

In brief: To open, use a tool that fits (picture is something that comes to mind).

post-253-0-43453200-1407289112.jpg

To close, use a watch press (also pictured). I really hope this helps.

post-253-0-87302600-1407289122.jpg

I hope some other members have a better solution than mine...

Edited by bobm12

I always use a case knife. It's not always easy if the case has no "pry points" to get the knife into the gap between the back cover and the body of the case - but you say that there's a notch on yours, so it should be possible. Here's an illustration of a knife on my watch pages:

http://www.willswatchpages.com/opening-a-watch-case.html

Place the edge of the blade into the notch and press downwards gently but firmly, with a slight wiggle of the blade if need be. This usually gets the hardest back of. If not - it's a job for the jeweller. And a case press may well be needed if it doesn't snap back on without using a lot of pressure.

Case knives are essential, cheap and can be got easily from eBay and Amazon, etc.

Edited by WillFly

I used the super glue trick and a 19mm nut to open the back of a Breitling.... :o ...worked an absolute treat.....when I refitted it the glue gave way and actually passed a pressure test!!...5 mins in acetone to remove and was as good as new....it may work on a case back even if to move it slightly to get your blade in...

Had a problem a while ago with a watch with a really stuck watch back. So  I purchased from Cousins a "Watch holding Case Opener"

had to fiddle with it but it did the trick. Cousins ref: C9865.

When open there was some sort of green glue around it which was causing it to stick tight.

Edited by clockboy

Had a problem a while ago with a watch with a really stuck watch back. So  I purchased from Cousins a "Watch holding Case Opener"

had to fiddle with it but it did the trick. Cousins ref: C9865.

When open there was some sort of green glue around it which was causing it to stick tight.

I use one quite often, it gets the job done!

I'm not sure that watch presses or case openers would work.  Many of them look like you would have to be able to get the back flush against the plates and due to it being in a cuff style bracelet I don't think it can ever do that.  I've attached some pictures to show what I mean.  Does anyone know if I would be able to use any of those devices with this kind of watch?  I've pictured the extent of how far the cuff opens.  The watch is built into the cuff so it cannot be removed and the cuff is inflexible except the hinges on the sides which open and of course the whole thing is curved.

10913_10152178132570653_7293896120069512

Dear Cassandra,

Looks like you've really got a problem..!

What I usually do when faced with a stuck caseback on a normal watch is use a sharp knife at the edge of the notch and use a small hammer to drive the knife deeper and start the back off. You need to support the watch well and keeps your fingers out of the way, small taps is what you need, don't try to whack it off in one go. Get someone to help as two hands really are not enough.

The bracelet looks like it will be in the way so see if you can get it off.. looks like it has plain pins which press out... it will be spring loaded so getting it back on is fiddly but nothing patience can't solve.

Bob is very right in saying that getting it back on will be a problem... these types of cases are usually made of pot metal and really break easily so be careful.

As for gluing the bolt on the back, this is mainly for casebacks which screw on... not so much for these types.

In this case I would suggest sending it to a regular watch battery shop place.... its not worth the hassle.

Anil

• Like 1

Looking at the picture showing the back of the watch, there appears to be four small screws. Try unscrewing them to see if you can remove the watch from the bracelet. If this works you should be in with half a chance of remaining the back with some of the methods suggested earlier.

Thanks everyone for the advice.  To clarify I do know how to open this type of watch and I understand that you need to use a stiff, thin (especially so for this watch apparently) blade.  The problem with this particular back is that the ledge although present is snugged right up to the actual back of the case and there is literally no space underneath the ledge in which to now insert a blade.  Even the thinnest of blades that I have tried are unable to get under that ledge.  This is where I cannot get any leverage it's nothing to do with the actual cuff and I can get a firm hold on it without removing the pins (I don't know If could get them back on so I wouldn't want to attempt removing them).  This is why I'm interested in exploring other options for removing the back such as the super-gluing thing.  I realize that is used for twist off backs but I was curious if it might work to stand the nut on the side when gluing and then use it it like a pull to lift the back off or maybe insert something through the hole and pull that way?  I have another bracelet watch from the same company and the ledge has space under it and I can pry it off it seems to be a defect in this particular watch's case back.  There are no screws by the way, I believe what someone thought were screws is simply the back of the gem setting.  Anywhere the gems are on one side of the watch the other side of the bracelet has are bumps.  The stones are then affixed inside these indents.

On a side note does anyone know how much a jeweler would charge to take the back off?

Be mindful who you take it to.

Goldsmiths charged my brother £10 for battery and labour but gouged the hell out of the case and caseback ( see my post )

I used one of those stubby caseback tools BUT I had to thin out the blade by rubbing it on a sharpening stone. Be careful as it will now be a real knife. Wear a leather gardening glove on the hand holding the watch.

Dear Cassandra,

The gluing the nut on the case back may not work as well reason is that you can exert more torque when twisting. The pulling force may be more than the glue can take.

Imagine double sided tape, if you stick two plastic plates together and try to twist (rotate) them against it other you'll find it quite difficult. But if you pry them apart it will come apart easier.

But since this is a quick fix with no cost apart from the glue then I'd say give it a shot! Use something that will allow maximum contact with the caseback.. maybe another caseback but be careful not to get any glue in the seam between your caseback and the case!

Anil

• Like 1