Sign in to follow this  
canthus

Beat Error and Positional Error

Question

Assuming the hairspring is sitting correctly in the regulator pins, is flat, correctly coiled and clean.  The balance has been correctly lubed and pivots/jewels are all ok, and it is poised ok.  The timegrapher is set correctly for lift angle, beat rate etc   .I appreciate that the quality of the movement and lack of wear etc are important but assume that these are at acceptable levels.

What effect will beat error have, if any, on the positional timing?   Is there a target beat error range that should be aimed at for good positional error?

Your esteemed comments would be much appreciated.

4 answers to this question

dito, both are not connected.

Beat error is a big topic in communities, but is highly overestimated, it has little to no influence on the performannce.

If displayed as "ms" like with most TMs, this value is a vague indicator only: the identical beat error (i.e. the angle that the balance impulse jewel is off the middle line, with no mainspring power applied) will show different "ms" values, depending on 1) beat rate and 2) amplitude.

So you can say ">1ms is bad, <1ms is fine", but it is nonsense without stating amplitude and beat rate, which nobody does. The only exact value is beat error in degrees!

Frank

Frank is right, I should have maybe mentioned that I almost always work with 18000bph watches. It's still handy to have a ballpark figure for what sounds reasonable. For example, if you are getting a reading of 9mS then it's probably advisable to adjust. I would only make any adjustments when the amplitude is healthy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By rduckwor
      A vintage Elgin 15/0, Gr 559.  I took it down, cleaned and lubricated it and it is gaining 15 minutes/24 hours.  I have looked at the HS, it appears to be perfect, clean, flat, not magnetized (de-magged the movement X 3 already), and in position between the regulator pins.  Not hung on the center wheel.  Correct mainspring, and balance is not knocking.    I do not remember amplitude, but IIRC, it was above 22 which is O.K. by me with the movement.  Please give me some ideas as to how to correct this.  It doesn't seem like there are enough timing washers in the world to slow this down!

Thanks,

RMD
    • By BritAsianinJap
      I'm really interested in finding out what main characteristics in a mechanical watch decide how much power reserve one can achieve. Can an existing watch be retro-fitted to enhance power reserve and is it recommended? I'm thinking does it impact on the other components in a watch?

• By AlexanderB
      Hi,
      one of my favorite watches is my IWC Flieger Chronograph (Ref 3777).

The only thing that annoyed me was, that it was almost 3s late every day. 15s or more in a week! 
      I know, this is complaining on the highest possible level. But still. If she would go 15s fast a week. Fine. But not late.
      My Weishi Timegrapher 1900 showed it pretty clear. After quite some experience with movements I dared to open it! No way to take the movement out, just opening it. Wow, what a nice movement!

But regulating the balance proved to be a challenge:

There is a little screw (going from the left to the right) which is used for fine regulation. The only problem: the screw is obscured by the case. And the stud is extremely smooth moving. The first thing I did was bringing the balance out of center while pushing just a little bit too hard. I was totally relaxed, because it was easy to bring it back in the right position with the Timegrapher.
      What is good about the 1900 model is that the two lines (tick and tack) are in different colors. When you push too hard the yellow line is above the green one (or vice versa) and you know, you went too far. The beat error itself does not change (e.g. turning negative). Very nice and helpful feature.
      It took me quite a while to get everything in perfect condition. With dial down I had to regulate her 2s fast. 
      To make a long story short: in the morning she is spot on and in the evening she is 1s late (again!). But with crown down she is running 1s fast in 7h during the night. Spot on next morning!
      BUT: Here is my question: The beat error is 0ms dial down but 3ms dial up. I have absolutely no explanation for that. I thought that the beat error should be the same no matter what position the watch is in. This was also the case before I regulated her.
      I am looking forward to hear your explanation!
      Thank you and Cheers
      Alexander

• By Mark
      Just uploaded a new video. this one concentrating on correcting beat error.

• By Mark
      I have just posted a new vid on YouTube. This one takes last weeks video a bit further and shows the basic operation of a Timegrapher timing machine.