rduckwor

Vintage Elgin movement running FAST!

Question

A vintage Elgin 15/0, Gr 559.  I took it down, cleaned and lubricated it and it is gaining 15 minutes/24 hours.  I have looked at the HS, it appears to be perfect, clean, flat, not magnetized (de-magged the movement X 3 already), and in position between the regulator pins.  Not hung on the center wheel.  Correct mainspring, and balance is not knocking.    I do not remember amplitude, but IIRC, it was above 22 which is O.K. by me with the movement.  Please give me some ideas as to how to correct this.  It doesn't seem like there are enough timing washers in the world to slow this down!

Thanks,

RMD

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, rduckwor said:

A vintage Elgin 15/0, Gr 559.  I took it down, cleaned and lubricated it and it is gaining 15 minutes/24 hours.  I have looked at the HS, it appears to be perfect, clean, flat, not magnetized (de-magged the movement X 3 already), and in position between the regulator pins.  Not hung on the center wheel.  Correct mainspring, and balance is not knocking.    I do not remember amplitude, but IIRC, it was above 22 which is O.K. by me with the movement.  Please give me some ideas as to how to correct this.  It doesn't seem like there are enough timing washers in the world to slow this down!

Thanks,

RMD

Did you put the hairspring under high enough magnification to see if any of the coils are sticking as its vibrating? Is hairspring also centered over the pivot, one side of the coils should not expand/contract any wider/narrow than the opposite side. Maybe dull or misshapen balance pivot causing high friction, did you get a look at the balance staff under a microscope. Get the amplitude again, if its low then these could be your issues since everything else checks out according to your post.

Have you checked the hairspring both while working and in idle state ? Usually this is a HS issue... If it was demagnetized it would have gained far more than a few minutes...

I looked at the balance/pivots/HS under the scope last night and will try to post pictures today.  The HS is as perfect as any I have seen.  The upper and lower pivots were straight and unfortunately flat on the tips.  I will have to look at some other Elgin Balances to see if this is normal for their manufacturing processes.

Thanks,

RMD

5 hours ago, rduckwor said:

I looked at the balance/pivots/HS under the scope last night and will try to post pictures today.  The HS is as perfect as any I have seen.  The upper and lower pivots were straight and unfortunately flat on the tips.  I will have to look at some other Elgin Balances to see if this is normal for their manufacturing processes.

Thanks,

RMD

The American movements used flat pivots Swiss used concave pivots during the time. 559 guessing its somewhere in the mid-late 40s. The outer coil looks a little off to me did you check end/side shakes? From the pics the pivots seem fine but cant be too sure, they are not clear enough and would really need a higher magnification. When its running put finger pressure on the balance cock, with light pressure it should not stop the balance. If it does then end shakes is too small, if you press hard it should stop the balance if it doesn’t then you have too much side/end shakes.. This will tell you if any of the 2 balance staff pivots have issues, bent worn down too much etc. or even cracked balance jewels. You may be able to remedy with jewel pushing, adding spacers to balance cock, if you don’t have to know how to replace the staff. But a time trace would really be nice too.

Edited by saswatch88

A rather good LOT of NOS pocket watch hairsprings is on sale at ebay now, bereguet overcoils. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-LOT-OF-NOS-ANTIQUE-ELGIN-POCKET-WATCH-MOVEMENT-HAIRSPRINGS-PARTS-REPAIR/392598089473?hash=item5b68ab6f01:g:74cAAOSwYS5d~QsB

Your balance wheel looks undisturbed , should you take the other route ,to vibrate with longer HS, you can built a nicer looking balance complete. 

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, vinn3 said:

the outboard spring coil looks to be out of place.  ?

I think HS dosn't  belong and is incompatible with the balance, it's collet looks unused.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By x83
      I was given a 1973 seiko lord matic (5600-9001) recently and I am very fond of it. The acrylic is in pretty good condition and the case isn't too scared up. There are only 3 problems with the watch. First, the case is a little bit dirty between the lugs. Second it gains about 15 seconds a day. Thirdly, the original bracelet is too small, so I tried to replace it and found that one of the spring bars is stuck. I don't really know what to do with the watch so I came here to get some advice. Should I take it to a local  jeweler, send it to the seiko service center (probably a bad idea), or try to work on it myself? If there is anyone on the site that is able to work on the watch I would consider that as well.

Thanks in advice for any advice.0
    • By PaulnKC
      All,

I have acquired what I believe to be a WW II era wristwatch.
      It was "made" (offered?) by Mulco. The movement is an FHF 150 (with sweep wheel/center seconds). The case is from "ID" (which is why I believe it to be WW II era).
      Here is the face - still cased...

Here is the inside of the case back...

The dial side uncased...

And the back (uncased)...

I am not familiar with this movement at all. It's the first time I have seen an FHF. It's also the first time that I have seen (in person) a movement with a sweep wheel.

I have ordered the Bergeon/Presto puller for odd number spokes. I assume there is isn't anything too strange with these old center-second movements other than the sweep wheel (removal and replacement).

But would appreciate any info, cautions, warnings etc. that I might need if attempting to service myself. It's not a family heirloom or anything, but I don't want to kill a vintage movement.

Also curious about watch itself if anyone knows anything about the original Mulco company and it's watches.

Kind Regards,
      -Paul

• By Michael1104
      Anyone know a supplier that would have orient watch parts. In general orient doesn’t supply parts I guess and it’s been hard to find on eBay. I have an EM60 repair. The crystal was damaged and whatever damaged it burned through and burnt the inner bezel and I cannot find a bezel with the same markings. Any help would be awesome.

• By toptime810
      Just finished a vintage build with correct working seconds at the six position. Hard to find a good reissue so I made my own with a aftermarket case and a dial made by me from scratch. logo is also my logo. Looks very professional maybe I could get some opinions from you guys. I have 25 more dials with different designs from single sub seconds to 2 and 3 eye chronographs. Its hard to find the cases I want. I guess I will settle with aftermarket cases for now and modify them.

• By PaulnKC
      WRT Members,
      I have a 50's/60's era Waltham men's wristwatch that needs some help.
      It's in amazing (as-new) condition, but while wearing the other day, it stopped - even though there should have been plenty of power in the mainspring.
      Disassembling for investigation quickly revealed the trouble. The screw-head from the ratchet wheel screw had broken off and found its way in to the train wheels and locked everything up.
      There appears to be no other damage - thankfully. But now I want to fix the movement. My preference would be to find a barrel arbor and screw - or better yet a complete going barrel assembly new with ratchet wheel screw.
      I am search eBay now - but thought I'd check with you guys to see if anyone knew of a good source for such parts. I haven't found any yet.
      NOTE: This movement is Swiss made, 7 jewels, marking on the base plate look like Unitas 1690/02
      Any info/help is greatly appreciated.
      Kind Regards,
      -Paul