Gruen 475 stem and dial screw locations

Apologies for a dumb question but I just got a new stem for the above (which seems to run well) but I'm unable to decide which is the setting lever/stem retaining screw. I thought I'd take off the dial to see how it's laid out and couldn't be certain which are the dial screws. Humbly requesting enlightenment. The Ranfft site pic is too low res to make a comparison. Also it seems to show a spring roughly in the upper region of the picture which ain't in mine.

Roy

Gruen-475-auto-5310001.JPG

Edited by skridlov

OK you might have to strip the dial side to see how it is engineered. I presume you have tried loosening the screw to it,s right (the one with some sort of plate under it) the button I highlighted might then move. This movement is I think called a bumper & I am sure there are some posts here on the forum about them. 

I fund this vid which should be helpful:

Thanks. It's called a bumper because the rotor doesn't rotate 360 deg, it bumps back and forth between the two springs. I should have looked at YT myself. At first glance he's taking the rotor off first which is a real PIA. 

Roy

Thanks. It's called a bumper because the rotor doesn't rotate 360 deg, it bumps back and forth between the two springs. I should have looked at YT myself. At first glance he's taking the rotor off first which is a real PIA. 

Roy

There's some movement in this pusher but I'm trying to fit a stem rather than withdraw one and the route is obstructed. I really need to remove the dial to look at the other side of the movement however I can't work out how it releases. Hopefully it doesn't require the rotor removed.

All I'm trying to do is fit a new stem!

Roy

and the route is obstructed

The winding pinion has toppled and the set lever has come out of its groove. Dial needs to come off. Are the screws visible on the edge..there should be two opposite each other.. Loosen this and the dial should come off.

Anilv

Edited by anilv

The winding pinion has toppled and the set lever has come out of its groove. Dial needs to come off. Are the screws visible on the edge..there should be two opposite each other.. Loosen this and the dial should come off.

Anilv

You may well be right about the winding pinion. Unfortunately the dial screws remain obscure. I've taken enough dials off that this is the first location I looked and there are no screws visible at all - even after moving the rotor round  - and I can't see any cam-locked posts visible either. Which I why I asked! Any more ideas?

Roy

What a mystery. Dial feet screws are not usually this elusive! I've done some searching and couldn't find any clues either.

My only suggestion for what it's worth is to try and find a dial like yours on ebay (checking both current and completed listings). With most sellers showing both sides of the dial in their pictures you might then be able to ascertain at least where they enter your movement and see if this helps unravel the mystery!