as 1900 setting wheel

Yorkie

hi 

newbie question, stripped down my first movement, an as 1900, using mark's video.

the setting wheel came off ok, but for some reason it wont go back on, as i am rebuilding for practice

tempted to warm it up a little, as i have basic tools and no broaches etc yet.

any thoughts?

many thx

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

hi 

newbie question, stripped down my first movement, an as 1900, using mark's video.

the setting wheel came off ok, but for some reason it wont go back on, as i am rebuilding for practice

tempted to warm it up a little, as i have basic tools and no broaches etc yet.

any thoughts?

many thx

Aahh! You've been stung by lady art!

My 2 cents are that nothing should be forced into place except maybe for the mainspring... and that if you load it by hand, because the winders make it a lot easier if it's the right fit.

I would recommend against heating anything up to make fit as this may change the density of the metal.

You have to find what it is that you may be missing that is keeping you from placing the wheel back on. 

A picture would be very helpful.

Cheers!

I'm wondering what part you are calling a setting wheel . On July 30 , 2016 I posted for help in this column for an AS 1746/47 and I used Marks AS 1900 video as a reference . The part I was working on is called a Great Wheel and on the same shaft there is another wheel attached called a Canon Pinion with Claw Notch . 

Both calibers , 1900 and 1746/47 use this set up with a difference being on the 1746/47 the Great wheel is on the gear train side of the plate with the shaft going to the dial side of the plate through a jeweled hole and then the Canon pinionW/ claw notch  is pressed on the shaft . These gears are used both to turn the minute wheel in normal operation and also used for setting the hands . I think this mechanism is called an offset pinion .

hi jguitron, ok wont force it, and wont heat it, picture below.

Hi ricardopamino, thx for the help, does photo help?

guys photo,below, its the wheel at the bottom, part of keyless works?

i dont believe it perches on top of the 'spindle', (for want of a better word), i believe it should slide down the spindle?? maybe i am wrong.

thanks again.

as1900 ratchet wheel.jpg