Removing crystal/bezel on my dad's Seiko SQ100

Halvis

I remember my dad wearing this watch when I was a kid. I recently found it in a junkdrawer at my parents house, and I want to fix it up.
It has gotten quite dirty from the less than ideal storage, so the case needs a good cleaning.

My main question is if the bezel has to be removed before removing the crystal?
Is the bezel even removable on this?

The case number is: 7N43-8210

Thank you.

SQ100_0.PNG

SQ100_12.PNG

I don't see any reason why you should remove the crystal. That is not necessary to perfectly clean the watch.

Different would be if you wanted to polish to remove scratches.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jdm said:

I don't see any reason why you should remove the crystal. That is not necessary to perfectly clean the watch.

Different would be if you wanted to polish to remove scratches.

To remove any gunk between the crystal, gasket and bezel.

And I won't have to deal with residue from the water/soap on the inside of the crystal.  

Yiu could probably use a small knife and insert it under the bezel. Lifting very little at a time and work your way around the case lifting the bezel until it pops of? Could be very much dirt under there? Making it difficult to remove? Is there any trouble with the day as it doesn't look like it has shifted enough. 

• Like 1

Yiu could probably use a small knife and insert it under the bezel. Lifting very little at a time and work your way around the case lifting the bezel until it pops of? Could be very much dirt under there? Making it difficult to remove? Is there any trouble with the day as it doesn't look like it has shifted enough. 

I am really scared to damage this watch, as it means a lot to me. I will see how it looks after some time in the ultrasonic cleaner. Hopefully I won't have to remove the bezel.

Yes, the movement is not in good shape. It keeps time, but can't be set and the date is broken. I have a new movement, but have not decided to try to fix the old or just change the whole movement.

To remove any gunk between the crystal, gasket and bezel.

And I won't have to deal with residue from the water/soap on the inside of the crystal.  

No need, use warm water a toothpick and rinse well. Alcohol also cleans great
To remove and reinstall crystals you need a press and you risk to break it.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jdm said:

No need, use warm water a toothpick and rinse well. Alcohol also cleans great
To remove and reinstall crystals you need a press and you risk to break it.

I have a Horotec press, and have never broken a crystal. I have however had a hard time cleaning crystals from the inside.

Any advice on how to do that?

3 hours ago, Halvis said:

I am really scared to damage this watch, as it means a lot to me. I will see how it looks after some time in the ultrasonic cleaner. Hopefully I won't have to remove the bezel.

Yes, the movement is not in good shape. It keeps time, but can't be set and the date is broken. I have a new movement, but have not decided to try to fix the old or just change the whole movement.

If the chapter ring doesn't  come of when you remove the movement? Be careful? Ultrasonic could take away all the numbers from the ring? Been there done that as they say :) But if you remove the crystal the chapter ring will probably come out. You can protect the case when you remove the bezel? With some tape or paper. But maybe better leave it as is? 

17 hours ago, Halvis said:

I remember my dad wearing this watch when I was a kid. I recently found it in a junkdrawer at my parents house, and I want to fix it up.
It has gotten quite dirty from the less than ideal storage, so the case needs a good cleaning.

My main question is if the bezel has to be removed before removing the crystal?
Is the bezel even removable on this?

The case number is: 7N43-8210

Thank you.

SQ100_0.PNG

SQ100_12.PNG

Only if the bezel is tight & will not turn or the crystal is scratched I see no reason to remove. If you want to remove the bezel be warned as these are normally very tight & can buckle when levering off.

Ultrasonic cleaners are "Brutal" good for cleaning some parts and your bracelet but not the case. If the seal is good under the bezel, why worry ? Warm soapy water and a brush will clean up the outside of the case. A toothpick on any gunk on the inner areas of the case to remove or loosen and blow out to remove.
Complications can be a real pain. If I were you I would fit the replacement movement

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Depends on the case but ultrasonic can remove markings off . If the crystal is left in, it can damage or destroy the sealing ring. If the case is plated it can remove that or fragment it.
A plain stainless steel case with all sealing rings removed is fine in a ultrasonic cleaner.
Having said that I have cleaned plated cases etc in a cleaner and got away with it. Depends on how much you value the watch. Which I think you do.

I'm probably going to be shot down in flames for this but I think we have a difference here between the Professional and the Hobbyists.
The Professional will have a watch cleaning machine which is considerably more expensive than a ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic has uses but should be used with extreme caution. The ultrasonic is designed for non ferrous metals such as jewellery and even then problems can occur with precious stones being loosened from their settings.
As a amateur I have found my time better spent, certainly on old mechanical movements better spent, using fine brushes, peg wood and rodico for cleaning.

Depends on the case but ultrasonic can remove markings off . If the crystal is left in, it can damage or destroy the sealing ring.

"Sealing rings" (crystal gaskets) are made of nylon and resistant to most acids. You could leave'em in U/S with soapy water for an year and no damage would happen.

"Sealing rings" (crystal gaskets) are made of nylon and resistant to most acids. You could leave'em in U/S with soapy water for an year and no damage would happen.

My comments were not only based on the type of chemical used in the process of cleaning but other factors and specifically "Heat" and "Sonic Vibration" used in the cleaning process.
I haven't a Pressure Tester but think it useful if tests could be done with a watch with a known (Sealed condition) and several applications of cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner to see if the seals do remain intact.
Personally I would rather just clean a case with brush and soapy water or if using ultrasonic cleaning, remove the crystal and replace the gasket as a matter of course anyway.

There are plenty of professional watch machines that are ultrasonic. I've attached a brochure for an Elma version. Don't ask me what it costs, I don't think you want to know :-)

Elmasolvex_Uhrenreinigung_EN.pdf

I'm aware of the machines you're referring too. My price list starts from £295 + Vat going to £1695 + Vat. Can't compare to your list as was unable to download but suspect it's around the same pricing ?

Cousins has the Elmasovex VA listed for  £10,995.00

Walsh has the Greiner ACS900 Ultrasonic Watch Cleaning Machine listed for £9,425.00

Star Time Supply has the Lititz Precision Products Matador for the bargain price of $3,195.00

These are specialized machines, not your standard tank style ultrasonic cleaner.

Edited by dadistic

Cousins has the Elmasovex VA listed for  £10,995.00

Walsh has the Greiner ACS900 Ultrasonic Watch Cleaning Machine listed for £9,425.00

Star Time Supply has the Lititz Precision Products Matador for the bargain price of $3,195.00

These are specialized machines, not your standard tank style ultrasonic cleaner.

Wow ! Many thanks for the info

So. If I clean the case without removing the crystal, water and soap will enter the case and the inside of the crystal.
This will probably leave some residue.

How do I clean the inside of the crystal afterwards?
I have found this to be a frustrating task before.