Seiko Capacitor Change

Alaskamick

Keep shaking it....

Seriously, I did a couple of 5M42's earlier this year. The original capacitors (when they were in good order) would charge up to above the 2 second tick point relatively quickly.

The new ones though have a much higher capacity and take a lot more charging to get over the 2 second tick trigger voltage. If you have a winding machine then I would suggest putting it on that to get the initial charge, and then maintain it by wearing it.

The up side is that once charged they last considerably longer before they stop again.

47 minutes ago, Marc said:

Keep shaking it....

Seriously, I did a couple of 5M42's earlier this year. The original capacitors (when they were in good order) would charge up to above the 2 second tick point relatively quickly.

The new ones though have a much higher capacity and take a lot more charging to get over the 2 second tick trigger voltage. If you have a winding machine then I would suggest putting it on that to get the initial charge, and then maintain it by wearing it.

The up side is that once charged they last considerably longer before they stop again.

Been doing that for about ½ hr with no change.

Any other ideas?

Starting to get funny looks from the wife.

Also can I ask what the extra button at 3.00 o'clock is for.

Edited by Alaskamick

The pusher at 3 is the indicator of charge. When you push it the seconds hand becomes your indication of how much charge it has by the amount of "seconds" it moves...as indicated on some dials for these watches.

If it is not charging by hand, put them on the base of an electric toothbrush overnight and see what happens.

If still not charging, something is wrong either with the weight or the generator coil section, includes the little rotor. You can check with a multimeter if the coil is good.

Here are the specs for the coils:

Generator coil Block: 280 - 380 ohms, CousinsUK  stores it #4002.519

Just in case:

Time Side coil Block: 1.7 - 2.1 Kilo Ohms, #4002.516

They are about 13 pounds and change....

Check on the walk through I made about this movement for the pdf service sheet. At the end there are the electronics values.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I've just edited my post to give an example of a way to charge your kinetic watch!

If this is a watch you have purchased not working for repair, there is a chance the generator in not working.

The pusher is for checking the battery.  When you push it the second hand should move forward thirty seconds if the battery is fully charged.  It will then pause at this position until the watch catches up with the second hand at which time normal timekeeping is resumed.  

If I remember correctly, the second hand will advance 10 sec, 20 sec or 30 sec depending on the state of charge.

Thanks for all the help with this. It's not going to be an easy fix.

I did buy it  after being told that " all it needs is a new capacitor "

Bob thanks for pointing me to your service sheet, I'm sure that if I decide to go ahead with this watch they'll be invaluable together with your walk through.

Cheers

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marc said:

If you have a winding machine then I would suggest putting it on that to get the initial charge, and then maintain it by wearing it.

Regular watch winders do not charge Seiko Kinetics, because they turn too slow.

• Like 1