Sell or keep?

Not an offer to sell!!!! No pm's with offers, please and thank you.

I got this Borel a while back in a lot from a local guy, sort of a boot sale if you will. I wanted to put this together as a poll for members to respond, but it will not allow pics. Anyway, the Borel is in good shape and running, it has an ETA 2522 and is probably not real popular, (meaning uncommon, rare, scarce) at least here in the states. My dilemma is: I have my eye on brand new (what else?) Seiko 4R36, I am currently selling off some 4 and 5 jeweled Seiko quartz and some autos to feed the fire. I'd like to know what you guys think, should it stay or should it go?DSCF0280.JPGDSCF0221.JPG

A Seiko 4R36 should not set you back more than $250. Sell (or promise yourself to sell) whatever you like less until you have the amount or close to. This one in picture is nice doh and I would keep it instead or pretty much any 4R36. 

Edited by jdm

1 hour ago, jdm said:

A Seiko 4R36 should not set you back more than $250. Sell (or promise yourself to sell) whatever you like less until you have the amount or close to. This one in picture is nice doh and I would keep it instead or pretty much any 4R36. 

Thanks jdm & geo the one I'm looking at is at $166 USD, (I will reveal when time comes) so that's part of my dilemma. I'm probably going to get it anyway, much to the wife's chagrin! Thanks for your input.

Hi Wiley

It all depends on what you look for in watches. Personally I would draw up the pro's and con's.

Plus points.

Movement looks nice and tidy

Minus points

I don't really like GP stuff. Consider how often you'd wear it if you kept it. This is often a decider for me.. I usually look back and try to remember when was the last time I wore it.

Brand is a bit boring.

So for me I would sell it... I'd decide on how much I'd want for it (basically set a reserve) and look for a method to flog it.. eb@y , craiglist..whatever.

If you don't sell it it will sit in your drawer for the next 5 years and you may need to service it again!

Anil

Thanks to all who gave comment. Right now Mr. Borel is staying put, mostly because it is, what it is. I like the simplistic style of the watch and movement is pretty darn reliable. Stay tuned for update on the possible non- grail purchase.

Thanks again all!

Update!!!! Just reached half way to new watch, good buyer on the jeweled seiko's and a 25j non running Sealion, buyer got a pretty good deal. (case & crystal were toasty, movement had more serious issues)

Here is my goal watch, (I know it's a Seiko!) I'm not too crazy about the strap, but everything else just looks too good. I came to the realization that I don't have any 'Sports' watches. :biggrin:

SRP781K1.jpg

With some good, comes some bad, buyer on my Seikos is recanting and trying to weasel out of paying, (wants refund)  I opened a case w/emay...(not a typo), they may or may not accept my plea. I always have "no returns" in my selling profile, and clearly stated this in description... Buyers objection was the Seiko logo was missing from one and a chip on crystal on one of the other watches. At first they tried to get a refund of $10, I offered them in good faith a refund on shipping, (of $6.50). I called ebay to open a case immediately, Now, whilst I do care about my rating, I do not care that someone is trying to extort monies because they have buyers remorse or perhaps they don't clearly understand the English language. I know some of you may have similar experiences, at this point in time I am not worried and don't wish to solicit any stories of similar nature. I'm ramping up to my fourth pint today and probably need to throttle back on my emotions and keep a calm head! I am keeping my eyes on the prize!

3 hours ago, WileyDave said:

With some good, comes some bad, buyer on my Seikos is recanting and trying to weasel out of paying, (wants refund)  

That's exactly why I do not sell on Ebay, and I prefer non-claimable payment methods. Does that make me a bad or unsuccessful seller? Not at all looking at my feedbacks.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:30 PM, jdm said:

That's exactly why I do not sell on Ebay, and I prefer non-claimable payment methods. Does that make me a bad or unsuccessful seller? Not at all looking at my feedbacks.

Of course the bay folks sided with buyer and I will appeal. Even though no returns are in my selling profile, (and in description) They just claimed Items not as described, sure hope they come back in same running condition the were sent in. not really worried about bad tick on feedback, in the future I will include "as is".

I am going to buy the Mt. Fuji anyway, (YAY!) I read something today about spending money when your getting older:

It's time to use the money you saved up.  Use it and enjoy it.  Don't just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it.  Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas for your hard earned capital.  Enjoy the present moment. The sand in the clock may run out at any moment.