Where to get small quantities of lubricant for a one off job?

Hello all,

A family member has a Tissot Bridgeport watch (Valjoux 7750 movement) that had stopped working, and, despite never taking a watch apart before, I decided to have a go at fixing it. Over the past few months, I've disassembled the watch (the problem was a loose screw, and another part that had come loose that stopped the chronograph reset from working) and I'm now ready to put it back together. Seeing as I've gone to all the trouble to disassemble it, it seems a shame if I don't take this opportunity to lubricate the parts. The ETA website has a very good step by step guide on how to disassemble and reassemble the movement (http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/7750/7750.html), including oiling points. I've had a search for those oils online, but if I were to buy them, it would cost around about £150-£200! I struggled to find the same oils on eBay. Seeing as this is a "one-off" thing I'm doing, does this community have any suggestions as to how I can just what I need to get by to do complete this repair project?

Thanks,

Amr

• Like 1

All the lubricants from Cousins would cost like 50 pounds, you would have then approx 3 times for proper tool, jury-rigging it's not a good idea in watchmaking.

For further saving you could try asking a friendly watchmaker, or resell them after use. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I tried calling the only local watch repair shop but they were hesitant to sell small quantities unfortunately. Eventually, I ended up buying the oils off Cousins (which I hadn't heard of before, so thanks!). The only real expensive one was 9504 which you can only buy in £40 quantities, but fortunately, I was able to find some Molykote DX online for much cheaper, so I'm using that instead.

Regarding oilers, I'm using some thin needles. You can pick a small drop of oil/grease and I seem to be able to controllably apply it.

Amr

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:59 PM, amrbekhit said:

Hello all,

A family member has a Tissot Bridgeport watch (Valjoux 7750 movement) that had stopped working, and, despite never taking a watch apart before, I decided to have a go at fixing it. Over the past few months, I've disassembled the watch (the problem was a loose screw, and another part that had come loose that stopped the chronograph reset from working) and I'm now ready to put it back together. Seeing as I've gone to all the trouble to disassemble it, it seems a shame if I don't take this opportunity to lubricate the parts. The ETA website has a very good step by step guide on how to disassemble and reassemble the movement (http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/7750/7750.html), including oiling points. I've had a search for those oils online, but if I were to buy them, it would cost around about £150-£200! I struggled to find the same oils on eBay. Seeing as this is a "one-off" thing I'm doing, does this community have any suggestions as to how I can just what I need to get by to do complete this repair project?

Thanks,

Amr

That's a great website ! good luck with the rebuild:thumbsu: