case screws stripped

This is a new 6497 movement watch I purchased ,it's running at +10 spd.. But I can only extract 2 of the case screws and the others are too stripped to move I'm using a Bergeon 1.6mm screwdriver..I don't know what else to do short of going for a refund ... Does anyone have any ideas ?  Thanks Lenny........

IMclearG_2974.jpg

Is this a Chinese watch? Just curious why you wanted to remove the movement?
Sometime it's not the brand of tool that matters but how its shape bites on the cut of the screw, and how it's used.

Edited by jdm

Yea , I'm requesting one ... The dealer knows that the watch came with some bad screw's and had offered to order more screws from parnis. I thought with a new screwdriver I would be able to get them out.. It's a shame because it seems to be running +10spd in any position so it would of been a good watch ....

Oh right, you meant case back screws. Try this, with a different screwdriver, hold the watch from below on some wood and plastic, tap the screwdriver while rotating. Also for screws that are real tight like bracelet ones, use a screwdriver with a barrell handle.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bergeon-chromium-plated-with-drum-barrel-5971

or

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/cousins-steel-extra-grip

BTW, movements in Parnis watches come with no oil, so whatever effort you make to regulate now, heaven knows how it will run after a while.

Just now, Lenny said:

Doesn't  look like an easy refund .. I could use a dentist to see about the screwsssss.........I wonder if super glue on an old screwdriver would work ?

Have you given a try to the method explained above? All it takes is to find the right angle for the drive blade to bite. Keep the movement in the holder in a vice wile doing that.

22 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Which type of screwdriver is the best ontop ...?  Don't know , these screws are like butter...

Any that you don't mind hitting onto and has as blade that bites into the screw. Otherwise bring it to a watchmaker to have screws removed.

I spoke to one yesterday , a real prick . He started out by saying I can't regulate it any more because  the needle was at the very end of the writing of  + &- on the balance cock .. then he said it will go out of beat if I regulate it and that the Chinese hammer in the screws...

16 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I spoke to one yesterday , a real prick . He started out by saying I can't regulate it any more because  the needle was at the very end of the writing of  + &- on the balance cock .. then he said it will go out of beat if I regulate it and that the Chinese hammer in the screws...

He may have had a poor attitude, but he may have been right on all points, sorry to say. Before I didn't even noticed where the regulator was.

Yea , I was alarmed where it is also , but have seen pictures of the same movement with it in the same place .. I also showed the picture to the German guy who does the kits with this movement and he said "I can go farther"  I'm starting to think that the screws are hammered in lol....

@jdm: Is that a fact with the oiling of the asian 6497 or a statistic based on your observation

@Lenny & @jdm looking at the first picture in the thread I believe there is enough arc on the regulator the take out those 10 seconds.

33 minutes ago, matabog said:

@jdm: Is that a fact with the oiling of the asian 6497 or a statistic based on your observation

Have a read here http://www.asian-watches.com/2016/04/a-warning-about-seagull-st-3600-vs-eta.html

33 minutes ago, matabog said:

@Lenny & @jdm looking at the first picture in the thread I believe there is enough arc on the regulator the take out those 10 seconds.

Could have a fix, even repinning the hs to the end stud. But the matter is, when one buys something new and it comes like that, it's understandable that a professional doesn't want to deal with it. Because the high potential of unpaid time ending in frustration.

Well LmWatches UK kindly sent me the White Parnis power reserve and I got it dialed in to about +6 per day without using a timgrapher. If it had a fine tuning screw like the swan neck it would of been perfect but I'm pleased with this watch at the moment ...