My first Omega repair

On a lovely Constellation no less!

28034561716_7bc2b36f08_c.jpg

Today my Dad brought the lovely pie pan he inherited from Uncle A. by mean of Aunt G. After being long forgotten, separated forever from its 18K skeleton bracelet, given to my Brother L. who could not care less, it was serviced country side, run for a while, brought back, then stopped again, In a not so pleasant visit Dad took it back from the watchmaker, brought to another smallish town "important watches shop", which could not even open it but said it would have been expensive to repair, so Dad gave it to me to find the best place to be repaired. He wanted to get at least an estimate by the official service center, which I opposed strenuously, suggesting instead to have it repaired in the UK. Of course the mutual agreement was that I would not touch it. But he wanted me to at least open it, and we both remained very impressed by the beauty and shades of the 551 rhodium plated movement, swan neck regulator, and that there were no cow hair 

27990896551_5bf2d3854c_c.jpg

After dinner, and with the watch opened on the bench all good proposition did not last long. I noticed that blowing air the balance would move one way only, in fact it seemed like the impulse pin somehow had ended on the wrong side (is that even possible ?). Took auto auto bridge off, lifted and reseated balance and cock, and it would run for few seconds. I then fiddled with crown in, out and midway, and it started running! Anyway, it definitely needs a professional hand ASAP.

27454544314_99094079f1_z.jpg 

• Should I tell Dad it "mysteriously" started running again? 

Edited by jdm

I guess if it runs for a while there is not a lot amiss. It will need stripping & all parts inspected & then cleaned. The issue you might find is if spare parts are required they are becoming increasingly difficult to source.

To understand what would normally prevent the roller jewel from ending up on the wrong side I have a link to a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxeM85XRTbU

If you're lucky the last watchmaker just put the balance wheel in the wrong position if you're unlucky somebody broke something they weren't supposed to.  I agree finding parts for older Omega watches or basically any older watch is becoming quite a challenge. Watches like Omega because they were expensive now the parts tend to be very expensive if you can find them at all.

Then link to a website you can find a authorized service  and the official price to get it serviced is cheap.

https://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/servicing-my-omega/

I guess if it runs for a while there is not a lot amiss.

As mentioned it works continuously now.

If you're lucky the last watchmaker just put the balance wheel in the wrong position

Thanks for the video. When the watchmaker last serviced the watch it was working, hence at that time the impulse pin was sitting correctly, as it is now.

BTW I do not find the servicing prices by Omega to be cheap at all [emoji15]

7 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

the official price to get it serviced is cheap.

6 hours ago, jdm said:

BTW I do not find the servicing prices by Omega to be cheap at all emoji15.png

All pretty debatable, for a high end swiss manufacturer it's not too bad, especially as I believe case (and bracelet if applicable) are usually fully refurbed with every service.

But a non official workshop/watchmaker without refurb might service something like this for around half the price. 

Edited by Ishima

21 minutes ago, Ishima said:

All pretty debatable, for a high end swiss manufacturer it's not too bad, 

Nitpick, let's remember that Omega, just like Rolex, it's not an high-end brand. It's a leading/large volume maker. High-end.. depends who do you ask, for some not even Patek is.