Can't Pull Crown out On Old Waltham Pocket Watch

So I took the crystal off and there is no lever set mechanism. As well, I have 21 other 100 year old pocket watches and non have this issue. Tomorrow I'll take the movement out and investigate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lovely looking watch with a nice case and great dial so please take care with it.

Be very careful how you try to get the movement out.

You must have it in the time setting position to allow it to drop easily out of the case front, otherwise the winding stem keeps it in and you will do damage by forcing it out.

The stem passes through a spring loaded collet which grips it and holds it in the two positions available,  i.e. winding and setting. 

I have a lot of pocket watches and some of them need an almost scary amount of force to get the stem to lift, probably due to the collect being either broken, tightened up too much, or lack of lubrication, but they all move eventually with brute strength.

The correct parts are very difficult to obtain, if at all, so don't try to force the movement out, as the damage done could wreck the movement or snap the stem,unless the winding stem is in the setting position.

I'm sure that it will come out eventually and when you reassemble it make sure that you adjust and grease the collet so that the stem moves like silk with a nice click.

Mike

A lovely looking watch with a nice case and great dial so please take care with it.

Be very careful how you try to get the movement out.

You must have it in the time setting position to allow it to drop easily out of the case front, otherwise the winding stem keeps it in and you will do damage by forcing it out.

The stem passes through a spring loaded collet which grips it and holds it in the two positions available,  i.e. winding and setting. 

I have a lot of pocket watches and some of them need an almost scary amount of force to get the stem to lift, probably due to the collect being either broken, tightened up too much, or lack of lubrication, but they all move eventually with brute strength.

The correct parts are very difficult to obtain, if at all, so don't try to force the movement out, as the damage done could wreck the movement or snap the stem,unless the winding stem is in the setting position.

I'm sure that it will come out eventually and when you reassemble it make sure that you adjust and grease the collet so that the stem moves like silk with a nice click.

Mike

So, what should I do here. I can't pull the crown out to the second position with my fingers. Should I use pliers to pull it out. How does the crown mechanism work. Why would it be jammed?

Great move JD. Now  when you get it out make sure you at least get i bit of grease down the stem and onto the collet.

Work it up and down a few time so the it isn't difficult without the movement installed.

If you can't get it easier then you will have to disassemble the stem and winding button from the case and make adjustment although it does require a special wrench. 

I do have a spare one you could borrow or you could look on eBay.

RAY11012.JPG

• Like 1

Great move JD. Now  when you get it out make sure you at least get i bit of grease down the stem and onto the collet.

Work it up and down a few time so the it isn't difficult without the movement installed.

If you can't get it easier then you will have to disassemble the stem and winding button from the case and make adjustment although it does require a special wrench. 

I do have a spare one you could borrow or you could look on eBay.

RAY11012.JPG

I think I can pick one of these up. I do intend on stripping down the watch completely and cleaning it. I have 6 pocket watches that need cleaning. I am now feeling better that the stem system does work. I will grease up the mechanisms.

Great buy JD,

Should last a lifetime with careful use.

Come back if you need any help with using it.

One thing I will point out is that if you get to the point of separating the stem and crown components be very careful with the collet as it's a narrow tube of spring steel which will easily break. Only open it up a minute amount or it will break.

• Like 1

Great buy JD,

Should last a lifetime with careful use.

Come back if you need any help with using it.

One thing I will point out is that if you get to the point of separating the stem and crown components be very careful with the collet as it's a narrow tube of spring steel which will easily break. Only open it up a minute amount or it will break.

Thanks for the advice. Hope I don't need any help but I will contact you if I do.

3 hours ago, antonyh said:

Hoping that you managed to get the winding sorted out.

You realise that it's not the original movement, although it still very nice.

Hi, not wishing to cause any disagreement but can I ask why you say Its not the original movement.

"a side  winder"   is a pocket  watch made to be  viewed from the side !  it is usually found in a hunting case "for obvious reasons"  so that's not your problem.  the crown has to be removed to use the collet tool as shown above.  so  my guess is the stem has been installed TOO  LONG. ( a gold or silver hunting case far more valuable than the case its in.).best of luck.  let us know if you get that crown off.  Vinn

"a side  winder"   is a pocket  watch made to be  viewed from the side !  it is usually found in a hunting case "for obvious reasons"  so that's not your problem.  the crown has to be removed to use the collet tool as shown above.  so  my guess is the stem has been installed TOO  LONG. ( a gold or silver hunting case far more valuable than the case its in.).best of luck.  let us know if you get that crown off.  Vinn

The case it is in is a 10 k gold case. Not the heightens in value but not bad.38abd8771bc31c7d39fe8c68141458c2.jpgb28026d49dd554b29653f59d604cc321.jpg

Hi JD, Rather than saying 

On 3 July 2016 at 6:16 AM, antonyh said:

You realise that it's not the original movement, although it still very nice.

antonyh should have said it's not the original CASE.

The important thing in a watch is the movement and and at some time in its life the owner either sold the gold Hunter case or damaged it and decided the movement was well worth saving so he recased it in a more convenient to use Open Face style case. Thereby giving a very nice movement a new lease of life.

It's a great little movement and a very nice looking case so any time you want to get your money back I will double it for you, no worries :D

A great watch and a good find, congratulations.

Edited by Alaskamick
  • Like 1

Hi JD, Rather than saying 

antonyh should have said it's not the original CASE.

The important thing in a watch is the movement and and at some time in its life the owner either sold the gold Hunter case or damaged it and decided the movement was well worth saving so he recased it in a more convenient to use Open Face style case. Thereby giving a very nice movement a new lease of life.

It's a great little movement and a very nice looking case so any time you want to get your money back I will double it for you, no worries [emoji3]

A great watch and a good find, congratulations.

The auction valued it at 300-400 bucks US and I put in the first and only bid at 25 bucks and win it. This has never happened in the past.

As I said, it's a great movement, the case is brilliant.

I simply pointed out it had been recased, enjoy wearing it, simply wonderful.

Ya, no issue man. Love the comments as I am still learning about the heritage of these movements. It's a good movement and an ok case, especially for the price.