My Watch "Lab"

sstakoff

Vintage Cherry bench from the Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking in Woodside, New York

IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0709.JPG

My Bulova Watchmaster ultrasonic and an older L&R cleaner

IMG_0711.JPGIMG_0712.JPG

Work in progress:

IMG_0710.JPG

Parts and supplies:

IMG_0713.JPG

Larger tools and more supplies:

IMG_0718.JPGIMG_0716.JPGIMG_0717.JPG

Various Horotec presses - Crystal, case, hands, crown/pusher tube press. Some other crystal presses including a BB. Timing machine is on the right.

IMG_0719.JPG

Ultrasonic and steamer

IMG_0721.JPG

Lathe - in parts awaiting cleaning....

IMG_0705.JPG

Waiting their turn:

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Edited by sstakoff
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Very nice. Why so many screwdriver sets?

Good question! I really only use the newer Bergeon set. The others are in not-so-great shape and I may pull one now and again if I need to use a thin blade to pry something up.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Don said:

Great setup! That looks like a heavy duty microscope.

Thank you. Microscope is pretty good. Info here: https://amzn.com/B00A1ZSRH2

Camera not so great, but I regularly use the microscope for certain operations such as oiling endstones and pallets. Also great for close parts inspection. Just takes a bit of getting used to. I wear eyeglasses, so I constantly need to flip them off before looking through as they bump into the eye hoods. I believe they make a special hood to address this but I haven't purchased.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little off topic, but since you mentioned dining tables - here are a few shots of mine - which I crafted from this reclaimed 9 foot section of bowling lane. 2.5 inches of solid maples for the first 7 feet. On the left you can see the "splice" where it transitions to pine. The arrows are inlaid walnut.

Photo Jul 02, 12 22 52 PM.jpg

The engine crane I needed to lift this -- the wood weights about 350 pounds.

Photo Jul 02, 12 23 17 PM.jpg

Lots of sanding and finishing:

Photo Jul 02, 12 23 07 PM.jpg

The extruded aluminum base - weights 120 pounds

Photo Jul 18, 2 44 48 PM-2.jpg

And the finished product:

IMG_0114-2.jpg

• Like 4

Ha!  Trust me, I've heard many comments - like "That table is striking". Truth is I'm not a big bowler - but it's a super nice piece of wood. I drove 100 miles and rented a truck to bring it home. A friend gave me a great gift of salt and pepper shakers made from actual bowling pins. That's about as far as I'll take the bowling theme. Someone suggested getting some old time paper scorecards, laminating them and using them as place mats.... One thing I can say for sure - at 9 feet and close to 500 pounds total weight, that thing is now part of the house, and it will be included if and when we sell the house, because I'm sure as hell not interested in moving it again!

On 7/13/2016 at 0:04 PM, sstakoff said:

A little off topic, but since you mentioned dining tables - here are a few shots of mine - which I crafted from this reclaimed 9 foot section of bowling lane. 2.5 inches of solid maples for the first 7 feet. On the left you can see the "splice" where it transitions to pine. The arrows are inlaid walnut.

Photo Jul 02, 12 22 52 PM.jpg

The engine crane I needed to lift this -- the wood weights about 350 pounds.

Photo Jul 02, 12 23 17 PM.jpg

Lots of sanding and finishing:

Photo Jul 02, 12 23 07 PM.jpg

The extruded aluminum base - weights 120 pounds

Photo Jul 18, 2 44 48 PM-2.jpg

And the finished product:

IMG_0114-2.jpg

Wow, that is cool, obviously a talented man, unfortunately my dining room is too small for something that size, did I also mention that my dining table is made of glass.

3 hours ago, Alienfox said:

Wow, that is cool, obviously a talented man

Thank you. I did have quite a bit of help from several friends who spent many hours sanding, cutting, inlaying the triangles on the edge banding, and the list goes on...

By the way, these lanes would make a seriously awesome workshop bench - not as a main watchmaker's bench, but for a general workshop / garage. The sad truth is that most of this wood gets scrapped when they tear down bowling alleys. I read an article about a land developer that tore down a bowling alley in order to construct a new shopping center. I called his office and asked what he did with the wood. Fortunately, he recognized that it was beautiful wood and he had a maintenance building with sufficient storage space to keep it. He sold it to me for a very reasonable fee.

• 1 month later...
On 26.6.2016 at 0:31 AM, sstakoff said:

Vintage Cherry bench from the Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking in Woodside, New York

IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0709.JPG

My Bulova Watchmaster ultrasonic and an older L&R cleaner

IMG_0711.JPGIMG_0712.JPG

Work in progress:

IMG_0710.JPG

Parts and supplies:

IMG_0713.JPG

Larger tools and more supplies:

IMG_0718.JPGIMG_0716.JPGIMG_0717.JPG

Various Horotec presses - Crystal, case, hands, crown/pusher tube press. Some other crystal presses including a BB. Timing machine is on the right.

IMG_0719.JPG

Ultrasonic and steamer

IMG_0721.JPG

Lathe - in parts awaiting cleaning....

IMG_0705.JPG

Waiting their turn:

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Very nice Mr, looks like a tidy man you are....   :-)