Hi everybody, I'm Alex ..

alexndr

My name is Alexander and I’ve been an amateur watchmaker for over 5 years now. My journey started when I found my grandfathers old Lagonda watch in the bottom of a drawer. Still ticking and keeping time it had a plexi glass full o scratches (probably caused by the garbage it had been living with for the past decades). I decided to polish the glass and to try to get it open to see what it looked like inside. Since that I’m stuck in this fascinating craft. I’ve serviced a handful of watches over the years with some good (and some bad) results and I’m trying to improve my skills every day in any way I can. 

Being a parent, raising small chaos generating kids, it’s incredibly valuable to have a space in time and room where you can relax, let everything take as much time as it has to, aim for perfection, keep maximum tidiness etc. 

I love good quality tools and that is maybe one reason to why I got hooked in the first place. There are so much high quality watchmaking tools out there j just waiting to be used (and bought). Often decades old but still in good condition and fully functional. After buying my first K&D staking set I pretty much wanted to own every tool that K&D have ever created. Today I have a lot of them but they’re also sharing shelves with other fine German and Swiss brands such as Bergeon, Horotec and more. 

One day, when I grow up, I will quit my everyday job as Software developer and become a full time watchmaker. Nearly all watchmakers I’ve ever met have been old, gray haired glass wearers so I bet it’s an occupation that you can keep on doing until the day your own hairspring decides to stop pumping. 

By joining this community I hope to learn more and try to share when I have something that I think is worth sharing .. 

Sincerely yours,

A
  • Like 1

Welcome Alex to this friendly forum. I 'm sure you will find lots on here to interest you.

Nearly all watchmakers I’ve ever met have been old, gray haired glass wearers so I bet it’s an occupation that you can keep on doing until the day your own hairspring decides to stop pumping. 

That's me off to a t. The other trouble is the failing of or poor eyesight which is me. 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome Alexander! My kids are older, but between family and work it's still hard to find time to pursue my interests. I'm glad you have a space to work in. That makes it easier.

Your not the first and hopefully not the last to be "bitten by the bug", welcome to you and share those good and bad moments, we're all here (I think), to learn from each other and the best part is; when you get stuck on something, there is always good advice to be had!

• 4 weeks later...