Installing a Plastic Crystal in a Hunter Pocket Watch

jdrichard

Almost, but not quite :). Once you release the plunger the crystal decompresses right away. It never stays in the die to the point where you can remove the die with the crystal in it. Referring to the pic of the actual unit below. You setup as pictured here, but with the crystal resting on the die below the case. You can lower the plunger through the case - it will compress the crystal into the die. While holding the plunger down with your right hand, use your left hand to maneuver the case downwards such that the bezel fits onto the crystal. You typically need to lower the case and also rotate it left and right a bit to get the crystal to sit just right. To be clear, the case is positioned such that the bezel is on the bottom. The plunger enters the case space from the back of the case as pictured. Once the crystal is seated, you release the plunger which allows the crystal to expand and lock into the bezel. I can take a video of the whole operation at some time this weekend if it's still not clear.

IMG_0692.JPG

32 minutes ago, sstakoff said:

A little improvisation from my day job office:

The die:

IMG_0693.JPG

Place "crystal" on the die

IMG_0694.JPG

Lower "plunger" - just touching the crystal.

IMG_0696.JPG

Depress plunger and you can see how the crystal compresses - sort of :)

IMG_0697.JPG

Excellent improvised demo, there's nothing like a picture to speak a thousand words. 

Most of the screw type presses, including the Robur operate on the same principal. The degree of compression that can be achieved is usually sufficient that little or no force is needed to locate the crystal in the bezel before releasing it.

It is worth mentioning that this approach only works with non-tension ring crystals. Armoured acrylic or tension ring crystals need a slightly different approach which does require significantly more effort to force the crystal into it's seat.

"Through the case :)" that hit the nail on the head. I was trying to figure out, for some stupid reason" how you got the watch in between the plunger and the die:) And I'm and Engineer! This explains it. Now what is this tool called just in case I run into one. PS: very good explanation and simulation with the tape:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ended up buying the simpler version. Now I have 3 different crystal installation tools, however, the one I bought came with a boatload of crystals:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk