Installing a Plastic Crystal in a Hunter Pocket Watch

jdrichard

I recently purchased a crystal installation tool and it is too small to be used for a 16s Pocket Watch. The guy I purchased it from was an old repair man and said that you can just push in the larger plastic crystals by hand. If this is true, could anyone comment and recommend the technique including whether you should do this with the ring off or screwed on the watch? This is the tool I purchased btw.

cd004ef6b77b334806611a3fb248b6b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see how those two dies come in your lift, it will only open as far as it can. I can see different recesses in the dies but it wouldn't work if the lift won't expand to the sizes. I expect your p/watch takes a low dome in which case these lifts don't work that well with low dome. They are very good for high dome. The link I put up is the tool I always used for the plastic type of large glass.

pocket watch glass crystals  are a whole different  subject.  to remove the " old flat ones'  requires heating the bezel.   the " low domed"  hunting case glass   still  require some heat,    installation is much the same.  i use plastic,  this require a special tool or LOW HEAT.  i would like to see a book on this subject.  vinn

I use a domed press in the lower holder an a big die in the upper. then place the case around the lower domed press die. Put the crystal in and put pressure on the crystal until it bends a little. So much i can lift the case up and mount the crystal. Maybe u can do that with your thumbs? By placing the crystal on a big enough die and pressing in the middle of the crystal . Just so much that you could mount the crystal in the case? 

• Like 2

If you intend doing a few pocket watches, it would be a good idea to keep your eyes open for one of these.  This will handle up to 50mm diameter plastic crystals.  I keep one in my ar$enal of tools for the odd pocket watch I work on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I have a set of those dies from the first image. I actually thought they were only used to measure round crystals - not to be used with a lift. I don't believe the tools shown are correct for a hunting case as pointed out. There is likely not enough of a lip to catch. I have a tool similar to this:

Mine is hand operated - the one pictured probably has a foot pedal. The pusher presses the crystal into a round die, essentially compressing it like the crystal lift tool would do, but without requiring the tall lip. The case can then be lowered onto the crystal.

Edited by Geo
Picture was copyright of Archer Watches.
  • Like 1

If you intend doing a few pocket watches, it would be a good idea to keep your eyes open for one of these.  This will handle up to 50mm diameter plastic crystals.  I keep one in my ar$enal of tools for the odd pocket watch I work on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just purchased one off eBay, big thanks:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry - I just realized that I didn't include a pic in my last post. For a hunting case, I think this tool is preferred to the lift-style that you purchased. I suspect you may have a hard time gripping the crystal. It can be done, but you need to also be careful not to scratch it. That sometimes happens when trying to grip a crystal like a hunter that doesn't really have a lip.

8 minutes ago, sstakoff said:

Sorry - I just realized that I didn't include a pic in my last post. 

You did include a picture the first time and I removed it because it is copyrighted to Archer Watches.  I have removed the picture from your latest post for the same reason.

6 minutes ago, Geo said:

You did include a picture the first time and I removed it because it is copyrighted to Archer Watches.  I have removed the picture from your latest post for the same reason.

Eek! Missed that!!! Appreciate the assist @Geo...

@jdrichard, let me know if you want me to post another photo - I can take one of my press at home if it will help

Stu...

• Like 2

Here ya go. Excuse the mess :). I just threw that case on there as a demo - the die that's in the machine is much too small for that case! Basically you lay the crystal on the hole in the die and place the watch case in the position shown. You press the plunger down which pushes the crystal into the die. The hole causes the crystal to contract in much the same way as that crystal lift tool - just without the need to grab onto a lip. Make sense?

Stu

IMG_0692.JPGIMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

No sorry - I rushed last night and didn't do a good job :(

Let's forget about the case for now. Imagine you just lay a crystal down over the hole in the tool die. You select a die that's just a bit smaller than the crystal so it's supporting it near the edge. You place the crystal "upside down" - like this: \___/   . Hope that makes sense. Then you lower the plunger which has a rubber tip. The plunger presses down on the crystal and in doing so the crystal depresses "into the die", with the added effect that it reduces it's diameter. Now, for the case. With the plunger held down you can lower the case such that the crystal enters the bezel. Releasing the plunger causes the crystal to return to normal shape and expand into the bezel.

Does that make sense???

In my setup, you can see in the center photo that the plunger is lowered with a handle. In many shops, the tool sits atop a tall cabinet of drawers which contain new crystals. On the bottom there is a foot pedal which lowers the plunger. This allows you to use both hands in the operation.