Installing a Plastic Crystal in a Hunter Pocket Watch

jdrichard

Almost, but not quite :). Once you release the plunger the crystal decompresses right away. It never stays in the die to the point where you can remove the die with the crystal in it. Referring to the pic of the actual unit below. You setup as pictured here, but with the crystal resting on the die below the case. You can lower the plunger through the case - it will compress the crystal into the die. While holding the plunger down with your right hand, use your left hand to maneuver the case downwards such that the bezel fits onto the crystal. You typically need to lower the case and also rotate it left and right a bit to get the crystal to sit just right. To be clear, the case is positioned such that the bezel is on the bottom. The plunger enters the case space from the back of the case as pictured. Once the crystal is seated, you release the plunger which allows the crystal to expand and lock into the bezel. I can take a video of the whole operation at some time this weekend if it's still not clear.

IMG_0692.JPG

32 minutes ago, sstakoff said:

A little improvisation from my day job office:

The die:

IMG_0693.JPG

Place "crystal" on the die

IMG_0694.JPG

Lower "plunger" - just touching the crystal.

IMG_0696.JPG

Depress plunger and you can see how the crystal compresses - sort of :)

IMG_0697.JPG

Excellent improvised demo, there's nothing like a picture to speak a thousand words. 

Most of the screw type presses, including the Robur operate on the same principal. The degree of compression that can be achieved is usually sufficient that little or no force is needed to locate the crystal in the bezel before releasing it.

It is worth mentioning that this approach only works with non-tension ring crystals. Armoured acrylic or tension ring crystals need a slightly different approach which does require significantly more effort to force the crystal into it's seat.

"Through the case :)" that hit the nail on the head. I was trying to figure out, for some stupid reason" how you got the watch in between the plunger and the die:) And I'm and Engineer! This explains it. Now what is this tool called just in case I run into one. PS: very good explanation and simulation with the tape:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ended up buying the simpler version. Now I have 3 different crystal installation tools, however, the one I bought came with a boatload of crystals:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Drilling is going to be difficult, firstly because the drill bits are so thin and brittle, expect to break a few. The second issue is access to the 'hole', as the other lug will be in the way, meaning that you will have to drill at a slight angle, putting a bending stress on the drill bit and with the slightest drop in concentration .... and back to my first point. I would be tempted to grind them flat with a Dremel type tool or small jewelers file, and then put a center punch in the center of the bit to be drilled so the drill bit doesn't skip around and break... but expect this to be slow and frustrating work. By the time you have done 4 of these you'll be an expert and can come back and tell us all the best way to do it if you go down this route. However, I would seriously consider What @watchweasol said and drill from the outside-in, this will ensure straight holes without having to work around the other lugs. It may be worthwhile making yourself a simple paper template so you can be sure to match the position of each hole before drilling. In the end you will be left with 4 holes on the outside of the lugs, but many cases are made this way and unless you are looking for it you probably won't notice or realise that it's not the way the watch was meant to be in the first place.
    • What works for me (waiting for the villagers to assemble with torches and pitchforks) is to put a liberal (in watch terms) spot of 9010 on one of the pins of the pin pallet, this seems to improve amplitude and beat error.
    • Non-magnetic is a poor description of such a hairspring. A better description would be unmagnetisable hairspring. There are metals and alloys that are attracted to magnets, but don’t become magnetised themselves. A hairspring made out such a material will be attracted to magnetised tweezers, but will not become magnetised. These hairsprings can be disrupted by being in close proximity to a magnet, but the disruption will cease the moment the magnet is moved away. These are hairsprings that could conceivably be disrupted by a magnetised hairspring stud. Best Regards, Mark
    • More than enough. Here's mine at the height I work at. I think the working distance with the included 0.5x Barlow lens is about 9".   So yes, that halves the magnification. The full story is the objective lens goes from 0.7x to 4.5x. The eyepieces are 10x, giving you the advertised magnification of 7x-45x. However the working distance is unacceptably short, so it comes with an 0.5x Barlow lens, reducing the magnification range to 3.5x-22.5x, but giving you a good working distance. What I did was buy a pair of Extreme Widefield 20x Eyepieces for when I need more magnification. You keep your high working distance, but get your 45x magnification back, at the cost of some width of field.
    • Modern ones after blue steel, invar, elinvar and nivarox , the shiny one are not supposed to become magnetised. But i have had them jump to tweezers. And i dont really understand the comment that what can be magnetised is the stud carrier and rate regulator and they can attract the hairspring ? If the hairspring is non magnetic then how can it be attracted to something else thats become magnetise, its non magnetic , that doesn't really make sense to be ?