Chevy...any mechanics out here?

Hi guys,

I have a question for those who like to tinker with cars as a hobby or as a profession (and for those who want to contribute too, of course). For a 2000 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2 L automatic, where can I get all the mounts (motor and transmission) in Polyurethane? Is this possible? I need to change those anyway, sluggish shifting (mostly on reverse) and too much movement of the engine/transaxle). Oil is killing the mounts. Every time it is changed it fall on them breaking the rubber eventually... 

I'm also "gathering" ideas for modification of this car. Considering it's got low original (90000) miles, is well maintained, and everything is working great, what would you suggest doing? Let your imagination run wild!

Cheers,

Bob

No oil leak Vinn! It is during oil changes some of the oil works its way to the mounts...I think it is the way this car is designed. Once you change the oil, there is a lingering burned oil smell for 2 days from the old oil that fell underneath.

Hi vinn,

Thanks for the suggestions.

It is not a sport car. It is a sport...ish looking car! :)

In any case, yes, hot oil does that...and that's what is happening every time they remove the plug to change the oil at the mechanics...that hot oil drips on the mounts. Until it finish burning (it is still in contact with the engine and heated during driving) the smell persists.

I understand that other than going solid with the mounts, poly is a middle of the road that will resist the effect of the hot oil. Therefore, I want to start doing this...but I can't find the appropriate parts made of that material.

Also, and since I'm going non original GM parts, I'm thinking about optimizing the way it works....intake, exhaust, brakes, ignition, just for starters. I really don't know how far I can go without altering any shape or modifying any fitting...just with well made, optimized, pre-fitted parts (performance). 

Therefore the questions...

Cheers,

Bob 

• 3 months later...

Thanks! Great link! As an update, I started some work on the car and also found one leak which was taken care of. There are more plans to mod it but I will be going slow with this poject. The dilemma now is to go poly on the (modded-to-be) side fenders (the replacement ones incorporates side vents) or similar in fiberglass. Either way the car will be lighter, but fiber cracks...poly is heavier and more expensive (lighter than stock metal ones)...decisions, decisions! OH! and flaps and trims and other things both mechanic and body shop....Paint color (since I will restore the paint but not necessarily the original color...).

If I ever finish I'll post a picture of the finished car.

Cheers,

Bob

Is this much the same as a British Vauxhall Cavalier...?

If so, at 90K miles its next destination would be the scrap-yard! I never liked Euro GM stuff, always cheap/cheerful at best, not very robust IMO, still--Better than Fraud i guess........

Hope US GM products are better than Euro!

I remember the Vauxhall! But that was a crappy car if memory serves well...No, this one is a better car. The engine is not exactly the highest tech according to "critics" but I understand it is the same used in the mail distribution trucks, and those never stop. It is still a DOHC, multiport injector and 90K expressway miles in 16 years, dealer maintained and one owner (one caring owner, me), is like a new car...we put that many miles in a car in 6 month, stop and go heavy traffic, around these parts!

Seems to me to be a poor design. If you can't get prevent the oil from getting on the mounts then one workaround would be to wrap the mounts in some foil.

I would imagine this is the oil that leaks from the filter mounting and not the oil-fill or drain hole? Some cars have a side-ways facing drain bolt so the oil gushes out sideways.. if this is the case then drain the oil using vacuum from the dipstick hole, avoiding the drain bolt altogether.

Anil

You are correct anil, it is the oil filter drip. The drain plug is at the bottom but doesn't spill the oil on the car. It is a very compact motor for a 2.2 cc 4 cyl. engine with front wheel traction...of course, now they make them still more compact nowadays!

Agreed AlienFox! The engine may have to go too. Any more ideas on the subject are welcome.

As a matter of curiosity, if I don't go engine swap, (not trying to race anyway, those days are far behind! ), what else would be your choice for driving in the city and looking....I was going to say good but it is a Cavalier for crying our loud! let's just say better. Maybe fuel economy vs. horse power and response.

In my mind, I'd do overcoils (lower it about one inch) and poly grommets and custom sway bars. Swap to cool intake and modify the exhaust...for now to make it more efficient, responsive and maybe take more advantage of the HPs....

The fenders and other "exterior" panels are still a dilemma and honestly, I might go poly....

What do you think?

Cheers,

Bob

GM  US ; in the 1980's  they decided export "assembly or finish eng. castings. crap assembled in [like] mexico -THEN import back into US.for sale.  when you needed parts,  none made in US.    i moved on to V.w. and toyota OR  pre 1985  US.  AND  bolts were metric and s.a.e. on the same eng..

Yes, it's got them, so far they are working fine otherwise I would have to replace them (no fixing for those :) ). I was also searching for available turbo kits and I have a feeling that they don't make them for that specific year. It seems to be too expensive too if the real thing becomes available.