Any Forklift operators here?

I got my license about 2 years ago I don't think it would be possible to fail the written. I works shifts and need to be able to drive a fork lift on night shifts because all the full time drivers work days only.

It is great fun driving the fork lift though we use Cesab deisel at work but some are fitted with Pyroban ignition cut out units because some areas at work are classed as explosive atmosphere's being a chemical works. You only have to fart to switch those off :). I have to say I tend to use it as a personal Taxi at work with it being a large site its easier to get around on the fork lift.

A course and test for a forklift?

Oh my, my training involved hopping on the propane powered Toyota, turning the key, and then playing with the levers and pedals until I figured it out. Safety training was just getting a feel for how much weight the thing can lift before the back wheels come off the ground. Then you get some co-workers to hang off the back to get the wheels back down. I've never driven it off the loading dock, but I've had co-workers who have :-)

We only have one, so no races around the parking lot. No fun at all :-(

• 3 weeks later...

I used to drive forklifts back in the late 80s, from little bitty 1ton battery powered jobs to a big hulking 15ton Hyster. The Hyster was way different from the rest as it had a weird accelerator pedal where you pressed one side to go forward and the other side to go backwards. You had several gears in both directions.

All I needed to do at the time was attend a briefing, basically do's and don'ts, vehicle checklist etc. and drive thru a course marked out with safety cones. I already had an airside driving permit though.

Anil