Thanks to you all

As I am on 2 weeks leave from work (Lecturer), I have had some time to reflect on my new hobby.  Although I have a neurological problem with my hands (Numb, Painful & Shaking) I have managed to repair and service 2 Seiko automatic watches, although missing a few parts after them taking flight, searching the table and floor I have found them in my beard, now to most of you here on the forum this is probably nothing special, but to me it's a great achievement, my family insisted that I was wasting my money and time on new tools and equipment because of the tiny parts I would be working on.

Today is a bad day for me, my hands are very shakey and painful, so no watch work today, however, I can just about master a keyboard, so, I would like to thank everyone on this site for their great advice and support for my new found love (yeah I really love trying to fix things) I am a member of a few forums for different things outside of horology, but the support here is better than most, just fantastic, I would also like to add a special thank you for Mark who in my opinion has put together an amazing website and a great community.

So, again a BIG thanks to everyone, I look forward to my next project knowing that I have the support of the WRT community.

Den

• Like 3

First off NO ONE here would ever belittle your attempts to service a watch or your achievements in doing so.  Please don't worry about that.  The folks here are just great...good people every single one!

If anything you are to be congratulated on taking on a pretty mentally and physically taxing hobby.  It ain't for the faint hearted! :D

I hear what you are saying about wobbly hands.  I don't have neuropathy (which is what I assume is ailing you) but my hands are shaky, my vision has trouble with little parts and I get frustrated too easily these days.  C'est la vie.  Happens to all of us as we get older.  Nothing to be ashamed about.

Anyway... I hope you have a great time here and that other members help you out as you take baby steps into the magical world of watch innards.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing the efforts that exist behind a screen name. Be reassured that what you did is not easy for anyone.

I also agree on the friendliness and people's quality of this forum. To compare, in the watchmaking section of a very famous watches forum, one of the resident "experts" specialized in giving assuming, cryptic answers to simple questions, but would go on rambling in against anything that was not made in Switzerland. Mods were meaningless also, that was enough for me to never want to open that page again.

Hello and welcome. I've found getting back into watch repair after a long break (over 15 years) was a very good way to

get control of the fine motor movement in my right hand after I had a stroke. I find it very therapeutic indeed.

Mick