Pallet Stone Replacement

I haven't done this job yet but I've watched loads of videos and it scares me to death. I'm waiting until I have much more experience and yes you will need lots of special tools to tackle this job.

Probably better to look out for a doner movement and just replace the whole thing.

I'm sure others will come in with their opinions.

Hi:

That's what I thought.  I think I'll take your advice and look for a donor.  I worked on two Waltham 1883's and both pallet forks fell apart.  Thanks again.  You always seem to answer my queries.  I've come to realize that an abundance of patience and perseverance  is necessary to stay in this hobby.

Cheers!

Timezone

(Rich)

How about this Bergeon US$900 tool?

Hi:  Neat tool but out of my league.   I think I'll look for a donor but thanks for posting such an interesting piece of equipment, wish I could afford.

Thanks,

Timezone :geek:  

berg2229-03a.jpg

• Like 1

I have replaced pallet stones a couple on a couple of occasions using this tool I found on the Bay a few years ago. You obviously have to first find the correct size pallet stone. I just set them at the same height as each other & it worked. You use shellac for the adhesion.

post-234-0-18171500-1456842096_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Clockboy:

Interesting, I'll keep my eyes peeled for this tool.  However, I think I might go the donor route but something to think about.  Somewhat cheaper than BobM12's  $900.00 Bergeon tool.  Thanks for coming back to me.

Timezone

post-807-0-42812500-1456872319_thumb.jpgthis is the pallet warmer i use, i really like clockboys. very nice tool, but only good for forks, not levers.(i think??)

timezone, although learning to shellac in jewels takes practice and patience to develop the skills the only thing you really need to do it other than a loupe and tweezers is a pallet warmer and some shellac. (and a heat source)  

and it is exceptionally rewarding when you get it right.

just learning to pull a good shellac string is a pretty cool process.

as long as you are going to replace this pallet lever with a donor why not use it for practice to learn the skill?

you can pick up a pallet warmer on epray for cheap and i would be happy to throw some shellac in an envelope and mail it to you at no charge.

Todd

Hi Todd: Thanks for your reply and offer for the shellac. I guess if was done on a practice piece I wouldn't be so "intimidated". I did see a demo yesterday on what you're referring to where the guy heats up the shellac and then pulls it into a long stringy state. I'll accept your generous offer and give it a try. I guess it's a skill worth learning since some of these vintage watches are over 100 years old and prone to "disintegration". I'll look forward to receiving the shellac. The warmer will hopefully come from e-bay or such.

Thanks,

Timezone :D

Timezone, for your own security I have taken the liberty of removing your name and address from the open post. I strongly advise that you only give this type of information via PM (Private Message).

• Like 1

The only advantage you have here is it's a pocket watch, so it's quite large to work on. It can be quite difficult and you should be very careful, shellac is the bonding agent you need, you don't need much heat with this stuff. The main problem is finding something that will hold the pallet while you are fitting the stone. If you are replacing the stone you need a replacement that has a tight fit, this will automatically find the right angle, a loose stone and the angle will be wrong causing all sorts of problems.

Hi:  I wondered how you determine the right angle when you replace the stone.  I thought maybe ypo need some kind of protractor or such but you answered the question.  I might "practice" on the old levers if I can find a donor replacement.  I saw a vendor that sells a bag of assorted stones on line. 

Thanks,

Timezone

Old hippy makes a good point the fit has to be tight to Achieve the correct angle. The tool I use makes it easier to get the correct

Height & holds things steady will applying the shellac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi timezone,

your shellac is in the mail.

it is just a letter envelope, not a package so it should get there pretty quick.

i meant to ask,

what is wrong with your existing jewels?

or are they not existing?