New In Watches

God morning guys, firs of all I want to present my self. My name is Sergiu, I'm from Romania but I live in UK for about 4 years. In the last few months I found verry interesting the vintage pocket watches. I watch all kind of videos on youtube about how to repair a pocket watch, so I think I'm verry new in this branch and in this forum aswell. I was looking for GR 2 book on internet but I not find nothing, cos I intend to buy one or if you have someone the book and want to sell or can scan the book and post here I will apreciate. I intend to clean the movement by hand, now the question is, witch solution is suitable for cleaning the movement and if I need some rising solutions after, I'm not intend to buy a US cleaning machine cos I d'ont see the reason at this moment. Now at the end I want to apologise for my english due is not my first language. Kind Regards to all, Sergiu

Welcome to the forum Sergiu. Don't worry about your English it is very good and if  we don't understand we'll tell you.

You'll find this a very helpful place with loads of knowledgeable people who are all friendly and willing to share their expertise. So all the best and start learning.

What is " GR2 book ". Don't know what you mean.

Hi Alaskamick, thank you for the nice words and for understanding. I saw one video made by Mark, the forum admin how is change a mainspring and he use this book to find the code for new mainspring. GR 2- Generale Ressorte, cos I have a old swiss pocket watch, no name on dial or movement, the main spring is broke, but ho change the last time the mainspring he do some rubish work cos is turn back he end of spring to stay fit in the barrel, and all the gauges are full of old oil with dust, anyway I'm not expected to work this pocket watch cos is first witch I open and desmonted :)) Is for training porposes. Regard's, Sergiu

Hi Sergiu, I am also interested in pocket watches and also in the uk.

I don't know that book. You may have to obtain a spring based on the size of your old one.

To get information here it is always best if you upload a picture of the movement and I'm certain that someone will identify it for you and give you advice on how to proceed.

Edited by Alaskamick

Thank you guys, for all this. What kind of fluid do you use for hand cleaning for movement and how cos I have around 10 vintage pocket watches in working order but only one not work and I take him in parts to start this new hobby, I d'ont want to damage the god ones with my big experience in repairing pocket watches :))

Hi ausimax, I try now to download the pdf from cousins but ask me to make account for trader only, so I'm not a trader, just a hobbyst, I need only for my personal use, they give this only at traders. If have someone another option, or if is someone a trader and can download and after to post hire will be god

Welcome to the Forum, Sergiu! I hope you find this a good place to hang out and feed your watch needs among all the nice people here!

Two answers for your two questions right now:

1.- for hand cleaning: use lighter fluid.

2.- Don't worry about CousinsUK "trader" stuff and register, you'll find out it works!

Hope the above helps,

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Search the forum and even go to resources, there is lots of stuff there to expand on the previous answers! Happy watchmaking!

Hi ausimax, I try now to download the pdf from cousins but ask me to make account for trader only, so I'm not a trader, just a hobbyst, I need only for my personal use, they give this only at traders. If have someone another option, or if is someone a trader and can download and after to post hire will be god

I am not a trader either, just register as a trader and where it asks for company name just use your own name, I have accounts at several supply houses and it usually works.

Lots of people use different cleaning solutions. I tend to go for ethanol or alcohol based liquids. There is no residual oil in them unlike lighter fluids. I've used both and ethanol works much better for a complete clean.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I tray how you tell ausimax and is work, thanks. Can you tell me a name of this kind of cleaning solutions Hiren? Sorry for delay but I was busy with my daily job

You can use a small amount of Vodka or isopropyl alcohol. You can get isopropyl alcohol from Amazon or even chemists. If you have an ultrasonic tank, it works even better. Place parts in small jar with alcohol and place in ultrasonic tank. Make sure water in the tank does not go inside the jar of alcohol.[emoji6] post-173-14571610775519.png

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hello Sergiu and welcome,

You may find it is worth getting even a Cheap ultrasonic, you dont need an expensive professional version if you are a hobbyist (like me).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasonic-Bath-Compact-Jewellery-Ring-Watch-Dentures-Coin-Gold-Cleaner-Cleaning-/262116260559?hash=item3d0758bacf:g:LnEAAOSw5VFWMQYf

I started with one of these and I put the parts I wanted to clean in lighter fluid (pure Naptha) inside small jars standing in about 2 cm of water in the cleaner and then transferred them into a similar jar with pure isopropanol in it for a few minutes before leaving them to dry off. 

There are a lot of postings about cleaning on the forum and I tend to look at them all as there is often a new idea that someone suggests.  You may want to keep the pallet jewels / escapement anchor out of the solvents though, there has been some talk on the forum that the shellac / adhesive holding the jewels to the anchor could be melted by some solvents.  Other than that everything cleans nicely and you don't have to breathe in the fumes.

I have since bought a bigger ultrasonic from Aldi but still only an ordinary house version.

Salutari,

Vic

• Like 1

Is a god ideea with this kind of ultrasonic, I was looking on ebay after one Ultrasonic like Mark's from his video but is to expensiv for my at this point, and I d'ont make money from this hobby to afford professional tools, I tray to start with minimum request of tools and this cheaper cos I dont know if I will be abble to do this kind of job(hobby). Thanks for help Vic (multumesc)

I agreee with jdm Timegrapers are great and much better than a lot of the apps but they do come at a price. £110.00 plus depending on the model (I have the 1900)

The cheap ultra sonic may be quite low on the vibration front but does a job for £6.00 and I started off my tinkering with two of them.  My slightly larger Ultrasonic (46K vibrations and 600ml metal tank) was less than £20.00, naturally it works better that the cheaper ones and using jars, I have and no fumes to contend with. I personally will not be buying a "proper" watchmakers ultrasonic as it is not warranted for the amount of watches i fiddle with.

As with all hobbys it depends how far you want to go, what you want or maybe what funds you have available..  I would advocate "baby steps" to start with.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

I agree with Vic too. Only, for a little more money you could get a "decent" ultrasonic that at least can be called the whole word rather than a two word name :) A "home" ultrasonic if you would. Here you can have them for around US$32. Professional machines also require more fluid which is expensive too so your money goes both ways.

As a side note, if you know mechanics and/or have a good source of information (and you do in the form of this forum), have the time and willingness to do stuff the old fashioned way, the timegraph will also be a luxury.

I said "also" because both machines just make your life easier. You can do everything manually as it used to be...and then you won't be spending any money on those. I do recommend both machines, don't get me wrong, but watchmaking is not dependent on them either as a hoppy or as a profession. Think about it, it is nice to have a car with cruise control, but without one you can also get to your destination! :)

Just my two cents on this.

Cheers,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, finaly I finish my first watch to clean and is still working :) But now I have another problem with a Waltham pocket watch made in 1895. That pin from balance staff witch activate the escapement now is broke. Someone can help me with identify with witch balance staff I need in this case? Manny thanks, Sergiu

post-1877-0-46390300-1458298573_thumb.jp

post-1877-0-48857600-1458298589_thumb.jp

post-1877-0-98652400-1458298606_thumb.jp

post-1877-0-24890500-1458298621_thumb.jp

Edited by Sergiu