New In Watches

Sergiu...you have a lot of courage to attempt a repair like that...I congratulate you.  I have loved collecting watches all my adult life and I do tinker with them but I have never attempted the sort of repair you have shown in your pictures.  There are very clever people in this forum who will have an answer for you...just be patient.  The other good thing about the people here is that they are ALL really nice folk.  There are no idiots or trolls here...everyone is respectful, tolerant and supportive.

• Like 1

Thank you stroppy, I think the old pocket watch are simple then chronograph or another complicated watches, and the parts are more biger, not like wirstwatches, anyway I have to go with this balance to replace the staff at one watch repairer cos I don't have a stacking tool yet. Anyway if someone can help me with an web site where I can find this staff, for that I post photo with serial of watch and that serial from the cock, I think is mean something that number. Regards, Sergiu

The balance staff is broken and you will need a replacement. It can be made or you might find on here someone that has a replacement but they will need all the measurements. In order to fit such a thing you will need a staking tool and lathe. You could on the other hand find a watchmaker near you who could do the job for you, as it can be quite difficult.

Hello Sergiu,

Looks like the watch dates from 1894/1895.  But there are others far more versed in identification of pocket watch parts.  I had a quick search and found some balance staffs so you could try here, dont give up on getting a part as Hamilton made about 4.5 Million watches so there is a chance of picking up an old scrapper that has the bit you want:-

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/Hamilton_%20Pocket_Watch_Parts-ss3.html

They may help you identify the part but bear in mind it has to be the exact size in all dimensions.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

Thank you Vic, but if I find some watchmaker close to me, maybe he can sort my staff, cos I found some scheme for this kind of balance staff. Like an option I will search someone with lathe, able to drill again that and to fitt another pin. Regards, Sergiu

post-1877-0-88554200-1458387258_thumb.pn

Edited by Sergiu