Seiko Presmatic...

This very nice Seiko Presmatic was delivered today . Super clean case , case back , and movement . The only blemish I found was a touch up on the black of the dial under the "r" of Presmatic that I saw with my loupe , but the color match is spot on . This 5106 movement hacks and hand winds , this is unusual for a vintage Seiko .

For those that may not be familiar with the Presmatic , a particular feature of them is the internal push-button for date change in the head of the crown .

The pleather watchband that came on it is not long for this world .

post-808-0-48617700-1454035736_thumb.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-FIND-33J-SEIKO-PRESMATIC-37MM-5106-9000-MENS-WRIST-WATCH-RUNS-/351632420816?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=f50BRCyQVjUJykzt89lIG2JArRk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

• Like 1

Nice Pressmatic Ricardo.

I have one of those my self although not as tidy.

post-73-0-81822900-1454062922_thumb.jpg

Mine is a gp case that looks like it has been through a cement mixer. When I got it the autowind didn't work, turned out the reverser wheel was missing but once replaced, no problem. There is also a strange problem with the dial; as you can see there is white paint missing in a couple of places, but the minute ticks (which should be on top of the white paint) are there.

One day when I have a bit of spare cash I will get the case and dial refinished, but for now it will have to do.

A lot of people seem to think that hand winding on a Seiko is rare but that is not really the case. It is fair to say that it is uncommon on the lower price range movements, but once you move into Seiko's mid-range models (like the PM and Lordmatics and so on) it is a different matter all together, dropping the "Magic Lever" auto system in favour of a much more "Swiss" looking system, and adding things like hacking and micro-regulation as standard, and a generally better level of finish.

post-73-0-82175400-1454062967_thumb.jpg

The jewel count usually starts to go up as well; my PM Cal. 5106 is a 33 jewel movement, and my LM's Cal.5606 are 23 and 25 jewel movements.

The LM's represent particularly good value for money on the vintage market as they seem to fetch only mediocre prices yet they are a cracking watch, very under-rated in my opinion.

The Pleathers gone , replaced by a padded leather watchband I had waiting in my stash . 

post-808-0-22208500-1454077111_thumb.jpg

Hi Marc ,...you are correct in the hand winding description .  The upper price range have the hand wind and hacking feature .  It's definitely a nice feature that most mechanical Citizen watches have .

Yours seems to have the same hands and indexes where the area for the lume is sunken from the plain of the index .  I really like the particular date change arrangement on the Presmatics and Seikomatic - P's , if I'm not mistaken .

I just checked Ebay yesterday and there is a Presmatic like mine going for twice the price I got mine for .

very well done on the strap. louis. it needed an upchange from pleather. what a classy looking watch - as well as marc's.

i know what you mean about the GP case, marc. gold watches do not age well and i usually only buy them with the intend on sticking the movement and dial into an SS case somewhere down the line. BUT, i wouldn't do that with a higher end watch like these.

louis - in our emails the other night, i don't know why i thought mine was a presmatic. it's a Seikomatic-P. i don't know what the difference is except the indices. it seems the hardware is otherwise alike.