Omega Speedmaster Mark Ii Conversion?

Endeavor

Hello All;

With the risk of becoming the laughing stock on this forum, I like to post the following back-ground story and subsequently like to question / seek advise.

In 1975 my brother was about to get married and for a wedding present he sincerely wished an Omega Speedmaster "the Moon-watch". On vacation in Norway (not 100% sure, but I suspect for airport tax advantages and their wedding date getting close) the watch had to be bought. Unfortunately the "Moon-watch" wasn't available and they "settled" for the Speedmaster Mark II...........a decision my brother regrets ever since.

He has worn the watch until end '80's and bought a Rolex Datejust, which is still his current watch.

Fast forward to 2016; The Speedmaster Mark II was send to me "to play with", as it was laying in my brothers drawer. It still runs fine and on time. All functions do work, seemingly very crispy I like to add. The metal bracelet has been replaced with a leather strap, but do I have the original SS bracelet. I don't think the watch has ever been serviced. The case and glass show decent wear and tear, so does the SS bracelet. The original box and papers are lost.

On top of being a "wedding-present", a famous "Speedmaster Mark II", his wife has recently fallen very seriously ill (unknown outcome), which make this watch far "too heavy" for me, never mind "to play with".

I'm not sure whether restoring this watch to its original condition would bring him "over the moon".

Just wondering whether the 861 movement could be serviced (unknown wear condition), build into a (real / replica) "Moonwatch" case and I give it back? What are the options here or is it just an enormous daft idea?

Hope for your experienced advise and wisdom......

Regards: Roland.

Firstly,  my personal view is that if it were recased it would lose a lot of its sentimental value.

It would be hard to ask your brother about the decision-making process at the time of purchase but if the wife had any input at all, it would be tied to the watch as it looked then.

Not sure how their financial position was at the time but for majority of newly-weds, a high-end watch is pretty low on the list.

Secondly, if you brother really wanted a moonwatch he could have easily bought one instead of the Rolex.

Again.. this is my personal opinion, he's your brother and you know him better!

Anil

Thanks

• Like 1

Hello Anil;

Hard to tell and to judge........ All I know is that he still regrets the decision they took at the time.

I could imagine, but that's my personal view, that buying the real "Moonwatch" instead of the Rolex is a bit like buying a near "identical" watch he already had, but then without all the sentimental attachments to it.

The "picking order" of items on their wedding list is surely not for me to comment on / decide.

I do agree that to re-case the original movement plus original dial could influence the sentimental value of the watch, however as it is now, it ended up in the drawer; still being kept, not being worn.......

Maybe it's also my wish to give him something back, something I know he longed for, but with the "sentimental" addition of the original Speedmaster 861 movement and the original Mark II dial he was given back 1975?

Edited by Endeavor

Good morning Roland.

Personally I don't think you should not do anything to the watch unless he specifically asks you to. Given his sad and worrying circumstances just now, the last thing on his mind will be the watch, but if things do go the wrong way, the watch in its original state will probably end up meaning a very lot to him. I know if it was me in the same situation, I would want if as it is complete with all the scars that equate to memories of happier times.

I was going to ask about the sentimental part of this but I can see that’s been answered partially. Here’s a different question which is better a Moon watch or the watch that he has or two watches?

Then some links below background for all of us that don’t know what a Moon watch is. Then problem do you know which moon watch he wanted? There are two separate movements and quite a few different case styles. Plus variety of dials so you’re going to need a case reference number. Otherwise you might make the wrong moon watch.

So I’m going to take a slightly different approach to this which relates to my question above. Before we get to what you need to do to complete your task servicing the movement? Omega on the website recommends every 4 to 5 years this is a manual wind watch even though everything seems to function nicely it should be serviced. Omega will service it for around $700 specifically the movement you have now. If you haven’t service to chronograph this isn’t the best one to learn on because it’s an Omega everything is going to be really expensive. Then because it’s part of Swatch group getting new parts may be quite challenging as Swatch doesn’t like us. Specifically they don’t like anyone playing with their watches so to discourage that they're not going to sell us parts..

So biggest problem we don’t know which moon watch were making because of the two separate movements dials styles etc. but I’m still going to look at eBay anyway. So a dial is a lot of moon watch dials several hundred dollars. Here’s one dial plus hands $500. There is a complete case for the other movement with dial no hands 2500. So far the best I found is a kit $1450. Minor catch I looked up the band reference number it may go with the other movement so you’re going to have to ask. So you get a case, band, dial and hands all brand-new. I notice there’s even the inner case back here. I don’t know if there’s a movement ring and you’re going to need a stem because the size of the cases are different providing this case does fit your movement.

So how about a different option if you add up all the components conceivably it might cost more than the watch especially if you went with commercial servicing. It’s one of the problems I’ve seen in the past breaking a watch up for components if they all sold it would cost more than the assembled watch. So the watches are from $2000 up and one of them 2500 supposedly been serviced in nice condition.

So interesting project which you don't quite have the answer to because we don't know which moon watch it is?

http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/05/05/lessons-wristory-omega-speedmaster-mark-series/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster

http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-professional-145-022-buyers-guide-part-1/

Hello Geo;

A Very valid point and you could be absolutely right !

I was not intending to do anything right now. As said, the watch was sent to me recently to "play with", but with the point you brought up also in the back of my mind, it has become a burden. I'm certainly not going to "play with it". Sending it back right now would be insulting.

Just for future reference, checking if this option is plausible at all; is it possible to build this movement, with its Mark II dial, in a "Moonwatch" case?

Are there spare cases (most likely very costly) or replica "moonwatch" cases for the 861 movement + Mark II dial on the market?

Has the 861 movement and Mark II dial the same dimensions as the "Moonwatch" 861 movement + dial.

If it is not an easy swap, I guess I forget about the whole idea.

I suspect it is plausible, but I still advise against it. Why not put the money that the project would cost towards an 861 moonwatch in need of a bit of TLC then refurbish it and give if to him? He would then have two watches that would have immense sentimental value.

Hello JohnR725 and Geo;

Very interesting reads and indeed a lot of questions to be answered........... in my case too many answers unclear.

I'm very glad I put my case to this forum! The Speedmaster will go in my drawer and we'll see what happens. For sure, I'm not going "to play" with it !

Thank you for your time and giving me very wise advises !!

Regards: Roland.

• Like 1