Jewel For Bush

Good question. I've never done it myself but have seen seated jewels replaced with brass bushes in a Waltham pocket watch movement. Finding or one would think, making the seat to fit an appropriate jewel in and then fit to the movement would be the challenge.

Regards

Tony

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's perfectly possible to repair a worn pivot hole that has not been bushed by inserting a modern pressed in jewel.  Doing this in a bushed hole should be equally possible as long as any remaining bush is not too thin to stay put when reaming out the hole or inserting the jewel.

S

I've attached a PDF booklet showing how to use one of the most common jeweling tools available.

Then I assume were discussing bushings used in watches? Versus clock bushings where they don't make jewels that big. A lot of the early automatic watches the used bushings and later on in the service sheets there be recommendations to replace those with jewels. So a lot of the bushings are the same size as the jewels minimal work is required for replacement. If you're talking about a seven jewel pocket watch some of those have what look like a bushings and are not. Then in the process of opening up the pivot hole to the size of the jewel you have to be careful not to lose your centers otherwise you wheels don't mesh. The only other issue is the hole size bushings can be opened up to be made bigger jewels come and set sizes and you're not going to change the inside hole diameter. So it has to fit the pivot correctly.

seitz BOOK.pdf

The answer is yes you can in theory. I think I see a Vid of Marks where he has done this repair. I say theory because you need to find a jewel with the correct internal diameter & thickness which is not always possible but a brass bush can be custom made. A while ago I re-bushed the top of a worn barrel bridge using a brass bush. I wanted to do it with a hole jewel but could not find one with the correct dimensions. 

• 1 month later...

I never done that replacing brass bushes with jewels.But my friend have done once in his wrist watch, and the result was not bad.may you can have a try

Yes it is possible but you will require the correct tools. You need to measure the pivot accurately using a gauge (see below) for the inside dimensions of the jewel & I use a micrometer for the outside diameter required. You will also need a jeweling tool set.

post-234-0-85237200-1457597812.png