Watchmakers Tweezer's Help?

Dumont set a "standard" with their numbering, which other makers copy or use together with their own. You can check these on any website that sells them.

No. 3 is the "general purpose" one, I have one and works good actually even a bit broader tips one would no.

I also have No. 5 for manipulating (in my case, finishing destroying) hairsprings.

I was thinking getting an angled tips one because there are a lot of situations where I find myself working impossible angles, but all in all as a beginner a No. 3 is all what you need.  

I use no. 5 for most everything -- actually two no. 5's -- but also have a wide tip No. 2 for "heavy" stuff. I dress the tips often (which is key) and have found some use for a No. 3. Whatever you find that works for you is OK, just don't forget that regardless, tips need to be dressed and maintained.

My brand of preference is Dumont and they make different versions of the same number at different prices. It all depend of the material and other -- not so evident -- features. I believe some other name brands might be just rebranding Dumont's or simply trying to imitate it. Still, Horotec has good tweezers (that I've tried, their aluminum tweezers suck) but Bergeon I haven't tried yet...

Cheers,

Bob

I have misplaced my dumont 2A . So i orded a new from Ofrei the other day? they had a sale. Costing only $18 . Love the rounded tip for removing stuff like bridges and such. Great when you disassemble a movement . When i put the movement together again i normally use a dumont dumoflex 5  or vetus 5 . Have a bambu vetus for battery replacement . Not so good but it works . Seen some whole carbon tweezers from Bergeon on Ebay . Doesn't carbon conduct electricity? 

Edited by rogart63