Crystal Tool?

chadders1966

Hi

I've noticed this item on EBay Germany (http://www.ebay.de/itm/UHRMACHER-WERKZEUGE-STERNKREUZ-GLASER-EINPRESSVORRICHTUNG-FUR-ARMBANDUHREN-/381390755107?hash=item58cca91523:g:9O4AAOSwd0BV7G7i). I've seen one or two of these for sale before and can't figure out how they are used. My best guess is that rather than press on the crystal to insert you place the appropriate die over it and press on that instead, but like I say it's just a guess and there is nothing to press with unless that small tool is it. Anyone know how to use it? I'm just curious.

Stephen

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Well, I ended up buying it anyway - I have a weakness for old tools ;). I'm still no nearer understanding what it's for or how it's used though. This is what it looks like:

post-373-0-61891000-1453797351_thumb.jpg

The box and tool are labelled Sternkreuz, there is a number on the tool but I can't find anything on it. The box contains a lot of aluminium dies as follows:

post-373-0-69794300-1453797431_thumb.jpg

Each one is marked Glasrand-0 with two consecutive mm sizes, and they cover from 170 to 369. The aperture is slightly less than the smaller of the sizes. Also in the box is a tool with two metal jaws with grooves on the top. The jaws open out to a maximum of 370mm:

post-373-0-18154400-1453797481_thumb.jpg

The other item is made of what looks like acrylic material. The two pieces fit together, and one is shaped so that the dies fit in. They can fit in either way round:

post-373-0-44934200-1453797551_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-14238800-1453797558_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-68892500-1453797565_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit puzzled as to what it's use will be. I presumed, given that it is Sternkreuz and the shape of the dies, that it would be for glass fitting, but I can't see how either of the items with it would work for that. The jaws on the tool are quite small and sharp, would probably damage a crystal, and then there is the groove on top. The acrylic block is obviously shaped to fit the dies, but again I can't see the purpose.
I thought I'd ask here, see if anybody has any clues. I might also contact Sternkreuz and see if they know. Thanks.
Stephen

Interesting suggestion about factory gauge, not something I had considered. It has the look of a consumer item to me, but I haven't been able to think of any possible use for it.

I was going to contact them, but there doesn't seem to be the facility to send documents. I'm not sure I could explain what I was asking without photographs.

Interesting suggestion about factory gauge, not something I had considered. It has the look of a consumer item to me, but I haven't been able to think of any possible use for it.

I was going to contact them, but there doesn't seem to be the facility to send documents. I'm not sure I could explain what I was asking without photographs.

Just send them a link to this thread.

• 4 months later...

Well I finally got my answer, courtesy of someone on EBay selling one and including a photocopy of the instructions in the listing. I've just spent a while translating from German and it is a set for inserting armoured crystals - very interesting!

Stephen