Hiya Everyone

Brucey

Just a quick hello, I'm Andy and I've just got into tinkering with watches as a hobby and if I'm completely honest I wouldn't mind making a few bob in the process.

I currently buy tatty Rado watches and strip them down and generally clean them up. I fell into it completely by accident and have no background in watches whatsoever. I'm a full time Firefighter and fairly recently had a breakdown and with the support of my amazing wife and kids am feeling back on track and happy, I also find this hobby very therapeutic.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all and if anyone else is struggling feel free to talk to me because I have learned that most blokes bottle it up.

Hope that wasn't too heavy!

Thanks, Andy.

Hi Andy!

What was it about Rado watches that got your attention? I'd quite like to have one of those 'Radio Disaster' watches just for fun! :-)

As a matter of interest, do firefighters wear wristwatches on shouts and do they have a 'Firefighters' Favourite'?

Welcome aboard and well done for choosing the best watch forum around.

John

Welcome aboard Andy. As SSTEEL says, this place is full of good guys who all love horology. Be warned, it can be very rewarding, but it can also very frustrating at times. When you need answers, you'll usually find quite a few folk more than willing to pitch in with suggestions.

Thanks everyone, I would of replied sooner however I'm working tonight and with it being bonfire night and working in Manchester!!!

Hiya Clockwatcher, it all started when I walked into a jewellers last Christmas when the guy who worked there pounced on me as I was looking at Rado watches, even though I told him I couldn't afford one he still insisted that I try one on, I loved it and when he came out with "watches are a good investment" I thought right, I'll buy a second hand one off ebay and see if I can turn a profit. I bought a Florence and cleaned it up and changed the battery and made £80, then a Diastar and made £70, then a Coupole and made £40! However since then I bought another Florence and managed to rub all the decals off the face cleaning it up and I'm currently trying to fix a bezel that has broken into 3 off a Diastar that I gave £40 for.

P.S firemen wear cheap crappy watches for work as they inevitably get smashed!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Andy and a belated welcome from Newcastle,

Bonfire Night in Manchester - Oh S*** - much respect for you and your mates in the Fire Service.

Have not had much experience of the Rado watches myself tending to go for older mechanical vintage ones usually in a poor condition, I also have a fondness for the Accutrons.  The Rado's certainly command a price especially the Automatics and I note they highlight scratch resistance and ceramics in the Ads.

Anyway, I agree that the the process of repairing is theraputic but it is a mystery to me sometimes why that is the case. 

I have spent ages trying to get a part in the right place only to see it fly away as I didnt hold it down with my pegwood and then you start again (if you can find it), you would think that the frustration alone would rattle you but somehow it doesn't, generally you just get back in the saddle.  Perhaps it is the control and concentration that blocks everything else out (except the wife hoovering) and settles the mind or the sheer relief when it all goes together and hopefully works perfectly - don't know really but it works for me and I think there are others that have mentioned it on the forum as well.

All the Best,

Vic

Edited by Vich
  • Like 1