Seiko 4006A Runs For A Few Seconds Then Stops

chriz74

I replaced the escape wheel and pinion in this calibre, refitting the bridge was a pain in the **BLEEP**. However now the watch runs for a few seconds and then stops, it starts again if shaked. Please check the video.

Should I see the barrel rotating when rotating the oscillating weight manually?

I replaced the escape wheel and pinion in this calibre,

Why did you replace the escape wheel in this watch? Then what else did you do to this watch in addition to replacing the escape wheel, for instance did you totally disassemble and clean everything?

You need to clean everything before you assemble a watch movement . And there need to  be oil in  the right places. Otherwise it won't work properly. And it does look like you hit the watch a little to hard in the video.  Maybe you broke something.  I am sure there is a video how to repair a Seiko 4006A on Youtube . 

Edited by rogart63

So if the escape wheel spins really fast it means the pallet fork jewel are not engaged with the escape wheel teeth. Understand how this works I have a link below.

So a lot of this will depend upon how much disassembly you did. You should've remove the balance wheel and pallet fork is it would've made it a lot easier for reassembly And verifying the escape wheel is in its proper position And the pivots are still intact. Then unfortunately just because the escape wheel spins doesn't mean the pivots are intact. If one of the pivots is broken off it can still spin although it has a habit of wobbling a little bit.

So pallet fork can be quite a challenge to get in and great opportunity to break one or both pivots off. If you didn't take the pallet fork out and set the escape wheel on top of it you'll break one or both of the pivots.

Then at the link below you'll notice the escape wheel teeth the pallet fork are all in the same plane if the pivots are broken you'll find the escape wheel is either above or below the pallet fork and the fork is not holding the escape wheel in place which is why it's spinning.

Then this is an exceedingly complicated watch with all kinds of things to break beyond the escape wheel so I wonder what else is broken if anything? Then if this watch hasn't been serviced in the last five years or more that also needs to be taken care of the watch needs to be cleaned and re-lubricated.

http://raulhorology.com/2012/10/setting-up-the-escapement-eta-6498-end-shakes-divisions/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is a "bumper" watch....you have to bump it so it works! :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Change the pallet fork if the scape wheel is OK. I'm sure one of the two have bend or broken pivots preventing them to engage properly.

Cheers,

Bob