Survey Of The Swiss Watch Industry

I sincerely hope that I am not violating any forum rules here but I think that this as a worthy cause that most people here will be interested in.

It is of course in connection with the impending cessation of supply of parts to the independent trade by the Swatch Group.

A well regarded independent repairer who regularly blogs his exploits is conducting a survey into peoples experience with both independent repairers and authorised service centres with a view to submitting the results to the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry in Biel.

If anyone is interested in taking part the link to the survey and some background information can be found here

http://watchguy.co.uk/watchguy-survey-swiss-watch-industry/#more-10903

I hope that by posting this link I haven't broken any rules.

Moderator please remove this post and accept my apology if I have transgressed.

I don't think the boss will have an issue with this, as his livelihood will be affected with this nonsense Swatch are initiating.

I've already filled in the survey via another forum. The initial results statistically make interesting reading.

I have written a lot on this subject in this forum. I have also written to my local MP & to our present industry secretary sadly to no effect. This survey is interesting & proves our argument but it will have no benefit to the cause. 

The problem is traditionally the horology has been very insular & if you look at the arguments being put forward they are still being put forward within the industry. The customer & future customers are is still not aware of their fate.

Sadly as a result Swatch feel no pressure to reconsider & will go ahead as they have planed.

I don't think a survey will help matters with the supply of parts, but I have filled in the survey it took all of 10 minutes. The only thing that would change the mind of the Swiss watch industry would be if revenues are affected by such decisions.

The prices of Swiss watches has been outstripping inflation for the past ten years now, Rolex, Omega and many other manufactures have increased prices beyond the reach of many does this make sense? Rolex manufacture around 600,000 watches a year my guess is they are trying to produce less with out losing revenue if they sell 600,00 watches at a average of £3,000 a watch it makes more sense to sell 300,000 at an average of £6,000 a watch and limit supply and increase the image of exclusivity and maintain the brand image. The industry also seems to want to push independent jewellers out of the supply chain and more brands are moving toward boutique stores and forcing independent stores into expensive refits, if they cant afford it then they lose there franchise.

I have had many bad experiences with manufacturer service centres, Omega and Jaeger Lecoultre have both been appalling in the past, they offer poor value extremely long turn around times and are generally expensive. Simple jobs will become expensive. In the past year I have been told by one manufacturer when enquiring about a simple crystal replacement that it could only be done as part of a full service going from what should have cost £50.00 pounds at the most to £400.00 including compulsory service in the end a independent fitted one for £35.00. I have also been told that a steel bracelet I had on my Omega Speedmaster could not be repaired and would need to be replaced at a cost of over £400.00 pounds, The same strap was repaired by a independent repairer for £20.00.

I hope that things like this will make the general public think twice before purchasing a Swiss watch from the big manufacturers, because practises like this will be the norm in the future and hopefully the big manufacturers will suffer from there own sharp practice there are plenty of good watches to be had from smaller manufactures and the gap would hopefully be filled by these.

At the end of the day it is simply a revenue increasing exercise these manufactures are more interested in selling new watches than ensuring your inherited watch your father wore continues to run.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...