So what is your absolute favourite watch or clock that you own ? It doesn't matter if you wear it or not ( not that you would wear a clock, but then i anticipate some unusual answers ) The "ONE" that you would not part with under any circumstances and why.

My Omega Seamaster aqua terra.  It's just me, very understated but classy ( not that I'm classy). I don't like dive watches, the bezel puts me off or any kind of bling. I prefer indices to numbers. I don't have any other luxuries, not into clothes, seldom go for expensive meals etc. So it's my little treat to myself. 

Not my watch but exactly the same, just got home and taken it off. 

Screenshot_20240520_164402_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

My Omega Seamaster aqua terra.  It's just me, very understated but classy ( not that I'm classy). I don't like dive watches, the bezel puts me off or any kind of bling. I prefer indices to numbers. I don't have any other luxuries, not into clothes, seldom go for expensive meals etc. So it's my little treat to myself. 

Not my watch but exactly the same, just got home and taken it off. 

Screenshot_20240520_164402_Chrome.jpg

Its a nice classy watch Rich, the only problem i have with it.......if you know me well enough then you know what that is. I've already forgiven you for it though 🙂

Posted (edited)

I don't wear or own a watch. I have 12 clocks in my home but I only wind one per week, each week it is a different one. I'm funny that way. 🤣

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 4

Yes, Swatch, booooooooooo!!!

Only joking mate, well mostly 🙂. 3 years ago i wanted one and didn't know any different. Funny how a little knowledge can completely change your view of things. 

34 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I don't wear or own a watch. I have 12 clocks in my home but I only wind one per week, each week it is a different one. I'm funny that way. 🤣

Do you have that special one though, that means more to you than all of the others ?

Yes, Swatch, booooooooooo!!!

Personal items can mean so much more than what they actually are or what they are worth. Those aspects dont even enter into the equation if its a gift or an inherited item. 

• Like 1

Nothing special to the horological world, but this is my travel watch. For whatever reason, this watch has accompanied me through airport security more often than my appendix and gall bladder. I feel as if i need this with me as much as my passport.

image.thumb.png.5d13f7d35ad2b5ad744602ab8af90ebb.png

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, eccentric59 said:

Nothing special to the horological world, but this is my travel watch. For whatever reason, this watch has accompanied me through airport security more often than my appendix and gall bladder. I feel as if i need this with me as much as my passport.

image.thumb.png.5d13f7d35ad2b5ad744602ab8af90ebb.png

Good luck charm ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

One I have and it's a French Strike on a bell with Garnish worth around £1,000. I'll take a photo of it tomorrow so you can see it. 

Please OH, we should all be proud of our collections what ever they are. If we can't show them off here then we can't show them anywhere. Our favourite gives us a story to tell of why we love it, that story also tells others something about ourselves. These are some of the things that make our forum and our community so amazing .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

When you have the matching set it adds to the value. I bought it because I like the colour of the case. 

There is a name for a timepiece and set like this OH, i forget what its called now 🤔. Thats lovely OH

15 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

There is a name for a timepiece and set like this OH, i forget what its called now 🤔

Got it garnitures.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

When you have the matching set it adds to the value. I bought it because I like the colour of the case. 

Have you ever worked on it ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 7:37 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

The "ONE" that you would not part with under any circumstances

So in other words if you basically ran out of money and you discovered that your beautiful Rolex watch was worth way more than you ever imagined you wouldn't sell the watch?

• Like 1

I've grown very fond of my Longines 30L. Nice and simple, elegant, and very accurate. 
But if I had to choose one, it would be one of the pocket watches I first started working on. 

And this is is my favourite a 16s Waltham Riverside (Model 1899) made in 1903. 
19 jewels, Breguet overcoil, and adjusted to 5 positions. The centre wheel is rose gold plated.
The damaskeening and perlage are stunning (and very difficult to photograph, the pic doesn't do it justice). 
When I last cleaned it, I wore it for a week (on an Albert chain of course). It was amazingly accurate, about 1s to 2s /day as I remember. Not bad for a 120 year old watch (and me as a learner).

3.thumb.jpg.948bf939357d199720d2900506e19a41.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.96cd63abf097bf459c6a51c32cd894fa.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.5d7c2010cd357616d57e4d55b17e82d5.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

So in other words if you basically ran out of money and you discovered that your beautiful Rolex watch was worth way more than you ever imagined you wouldn't sell the watch?

👍You got it John, but i can think of other worse scenarios that may sway a decision. I know people that have sold things when they were broke and then regretted it in the future and wished they had found a way around it. Everybody has different sentimental attitudes, different thresholds, limits to what makes them capable of doing something. An example is my cousin who is not at all sentimental and parted with my grandfather's watch which he gave to me via my mum. But yes that comment you made is the basic idea, just a timepiece that you value the most, and you are least likely to part with.

3 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I've grown very fond of my Longines 30L. Nice and simple, elegant, and very accurate. 
But if I had to choose one, it would be one of the pocket watches I first started working on. 

And this is is my favourite a 16s Waltham Riverside (Model 1899) made in 1903. 
19 jewels, Breguet overcoil, and adjusted to 5 positions. The centre wheel is rose gold plated.
The damaskeening and perlage are stunning (and very difficult to photograph, the pic doesn't do it justice). 
When I last cleaned it, I wore it for a week (on an Albert chain of course). It was amazingly accurate, about 1s to 2s /day as I remember. Not bad for a 120 year old watch (and me as a learner).

3.thumb.jpg.948bf939357d199720d2900506e19a41.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.96cd63abf097bf459c6a51c32cd894fa.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.5d7c2010cd357616d57e4d55b17e82d5.jpg

I'm not a pocket watch fan just yet Mike but that is gorgeous both inside and out and the fact that it was there at the start of your journey and proves testament to your dedication, skill and found forte makes it extra special. These are the ones that can be passed down the family line placed in the hands of someone that will continue to cherish it. Beautiful timepiece 👍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That Waltham is at the top of the tree when it comes to their models. Lovely looking movement. 

I really must get into pocket watches , its something that i haven’t thought much about. I imagine after tinkering with mens and ladies wristwatch movements for a while that the new scale of pocketwatches will be something nice to get used to. 

• Like 1