Simeon from Down Under

Hi,

My name is Simeon I am based in Sydney, Australia and have recently got into watch repair / watch making.  I am very much a learner having serviced multiple forgotten watches, some of which were actually successful!   I have a slowly growing collection of watches, mainly old Soviet, a few Japanese and (not pictured) some Raketas, a Poljot Alarm, an Omega Speedmaster Reduced and a vintage (1972) Tissot Seastar.  I like unloved vintage watches, with quirky faces and enjoy bringing them back to life through the simple(!) act of disassembly, clearing and reassembly.

I am an Electrical Engineer who also undertook a trade apprenticeship so I am reasonably handy - It's fair to say, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. 

image.png.9d1302affe826f48537b6ac4a19df43e.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Welcome, Simeon! I'm into Soviet watches too (not the political system, and yes, I am able to make the distinction, unlike some). They offer amazing value for money.

I like your "Big Zero" profile image. It's a true classic and I have one of those myself. I noticed that the hands aren't the original. Not that it matters a lot but here's an interesting article about the Big Zero if you haven't already seen it.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Welcome, Simeon! I'm into Soviet watches too (not the political system, and yes, I am able to make the distinction, unlike some). They offer amazing value for money.

I like your "Big Zero" profile image. It's a true classic and I have one of those myself. I noticed that the hands aren't the original. Not that it matters a lot but here's an interesting article about the Big Zero if you haven't already seen it.

Actually, I am aware that this watch has the wrong hands.  The watch is in excellent condition and the dial is genuine, so I have to forgive it that.  I do wish I could get some original hands for it though, so I am on the lookout.  It looks like I might have to buy a non-runner spares watch for that though as even they are hard to find. 

• Like 1