Blew it with a coil

I'm sure you will get help on here soon. 

Kkramme we like new members to make an introduction before posting. A little about your self such as where you life and what got you interested in Horology  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I'm sure you will get help on here soon. 

Kkramme we like new members to make an introduction before posting. A little about your self such as where you life and what got you interested in Horology  

Thanks. I did make a self introduction— perhaps in the wrong place? 🤔😢In any I am an Australian 🇦🇺 American living in the beautiful Gold Coast, Queensland Australia. I love Grand Seiko and Seiko watches, and recently came back from the Grand Seiko Shizukuishi Studio in northern Japan where I was blown away by the design artistry and technical excellence. More later on that (including photos, if interested!)

Here are some photos of the undamaged and damaged coil.  My bad!  I find it interesting because it is an "old" Seiko Credor -- which later evolved into $20K watches!

IMG_3605.PNG

IMG_3602.PNG

Screenshot 2024-04-11 105843.png

Sometimes surface damage like this can be repaired with solder. Run pre-tinned soldering iron tip with a tiny blob of solder over the damaged area and pray that the Gods of watchmaking are on your side. 🤞

• Like 1

the problem with vintage watches and yes quartz watches can be vintage is availability of parts will be a problem. I have a link below where we can cross reference the coil and  I was hoping for more.

Another problem for vintage parts are everyone on the group gets used to ordering from online. Conceivably the physical material houses that still exist out there might have the part and you'd have to reach out to them and see if anyone has one. this is because they don't list every single part that they have online with the exception of cousins where everything they do is online work just doesn't exist but the other material houses can have stuff not listed.

Otherwise just set up a search on eBay and sooner or later it will possibly show up if you're lucky.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=SEK_6020A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

You don't have to use his special tester. Any good multimeter would work.

Thanks.🙏 Very helpful.

13 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi. Breaks like this can br fixed with conductive paint like the paint used to repair a car  rear screen heater. I have used it successfully, you don’t need much and unlike solder there is no heat

6020A-1.pdf 694.78 kB · 4 downloads

What a cool and talented and helpful group/community!   Well done -- and much appreciated! 

14 minutes ago, CYCLOPS said:

Yep, i pulled that up as well when i was looking,  there is definitely parts out there if you are prepared to go out and find them. 

On 4/24/2024 at 11:29 PM, Kkramme said:

Thanks.🙏 Very helpful.

What a cool and talented and helpful group/community!   Well done -- and much appreciated! 

I watched that video years ago, I'm not so sure about probing the coil like that. If you are going to touch the coil use the side of the probe or at least shape a nice round end to it.

• Like 1

Hi. It’s always better to replace the coil but in the event of being unable to find one it’s nice to know that repairs can be effected. I prefer the conductive paint option because of the lack of heat and the chance of causing further damage.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi. It’s always better to replace the coil but in the event of being unable to find one it’s nice to know that repairs can be effected. I prefer the conductive paint option because of the lack of heat and the chance of causing further damage.

Would the paint increase the resistance of the coil ?

Just now, Neverenoughwatches said:

Would the paint increase the resistance of the coil ?

Effectively joining the wires that are painted. I imagine its important to only paint the smallest of areas to make the repair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

In think you are effectively shortening the coil by shorting out damaged tracks. In my case as long as the continuity was good and the resistance not too greatly affected it should be ok .  One was on an era  movement,

Thanks ww, its maybe not as much of a bodge trick that i thought it was. 

• Like 1