Hello fellow watch enthusiasts!

Hi there! 

I'm new to the community and the world of watches in general. I had a cheap dive watch that broke in my teen years and since largely ignored watches entirely. That is, until my folks brought me my grandfather's watch ( a 1970 Tudor submariner) that had been left to me in and had been sitting in a safe deposit box the last 20 some odd years. It runs, but it definitely needs some servicing. 

I was looking up places that might service it and then Youtube served me up one of Marshall's videos on the Wristwatch Revival channel and I was absolutely hooked. I assumed all watches were quartz and just ran on batteries but seeing automatic and manual movements tickled something in my brain that I didn't know it would. I decided to try it out and did a lot of research and I've just now got my first project watch running (an old Fortress brand watch)! 

My next project is an old Waltham A-11 that's seen better days. The crystal is cracked and yellowed and it's missing the case back, with other issues likely to be discovered once it arrives. If anyone knows what kind of crystal it might need and where I might find one, I'd be open to suggestions!

One day, my goal is to be able to develop the skills, toolset and confidence to service the Tudor on my own. For now, I have been playing with junk movements from Aliexpress. I can't wait to dive in to this hobby!

signal-2024-04-17-195729_002.jpeg

Edited by VanDan

Hi Vandan. Hi from a fellow newbie! Marshall has got a lot to answer for hasn't he! 😄. I also got hooked to this hobby after watching his videos. 

Good luck with your journey to service your Grandfather's watch.

Nick