Morning (UK) watch folk hope we are all well, just a heads up on a watch seller I've spotted, i wouldn't like my brothers to get caught out . When something is too good to be true it usually is, red flag warnings,spider senses tingling an all that. A few very nicely priced watches pop up on my searches yesterday at very low prices. All at buy it now or closest  offers, the seller makes them all sound attractive some recently professionally serviced . The photos for his listings are all screenshots ( cant believe the muppet has made such a rookie mistake ) first red flag. Feedback is 100 % positive, but not one as a seller and lots of it is duplicated. I decided to ask for an unusual photo to be added to which there has been no reply. My suspicion is not fully confirmed but If you come across the seller just be careful. I'm tempted to ask ebay to look into it , have a look see what you think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186374645626?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-YxZvgxDS1i&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

When you don't get a reply for me that would tell me something is wrong. The watch looks to perfect to be true. He says he has only sold 10 with a 100% feedback. The description is very professionally done. He says it has been serviced if that is the case he isn't making any profit on this one. It will be covered by ebay and their money back guarantee. 

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

When you don't get a reply for me that would tell me something is wrong. The watch looks to perfect to be true. He says he has only sold 10 with a 100% feedback. The description is very professionally done. He says it has been serviced if that is the case he isn't making any profit on this one. It will be covered by ebay and their money back guarantee. 

It was the screen shot photos, maybe taken from someone elses listing some time ago ? A lot of his feed back is duplicated . All his watches are well underpriced. With ebay guarantee, you could receive a turd in a box, how do you prove what you received.  I've filmed opening of parcels in the past but ebay has no way to attach these kind of files or their data size. I recently had a buyer remove an item from a joblot, there wasn't a way to prove it. I blamed the seller the seller blamed me, eventually ebay pushed the refund through. Tbh i think ebay stood the cost as it wasn't a large sum and the seller was not giving in. 

• Sad 1

I love online shopping due to the convenience.  I have learnt if "The Boss" says we'll just pop in here, expect to look at every item in the shop and if it's a shopping centre, visit every bloody shop! But yes, it does have its pitfalls. 

• Like 1

@Neverenoughwatches thanks for the heads-up, the prices of watches, even non-working, needs repair are going insane, so something so cheap should be a red flag. About 6 months ago I fell fowl of such a scam, I saw a Zodiac watch for a good price, but when it arrived it was different from the picture and an obvious Mumbai Special; fake dial, new case etc. I tried talking to the seller, but it was obvious that this was a scam as he said he could replace with a different colour as he had lots.... you live and learn.

• Sad 3

A long time ago I bought a clock from an  ebay seller they described it as working, which it wasn't it was in a right old mess. So I asked for my money back which the seller refused. I contacted ebay and explained it to them they said return it so I did. What I did was take photos of the process of packing it up. I contacted the seller and told them what I had been advised to do. I received a message from the seller telling me the clock was broken into pieces and they would not refund my money. As you can see I was one step ahead of them because I told ebay I had photos of the clock being packed up and you can see it isn't damaged, they agreed and I got my complete refund. Always stay one step ahead.    

• Like 2

this is definitely an interesting seller joined eBay 2010 and as sold only 10 items? That is listed as a private seller which typically only see that for German sellers as they have way more privacy stuff. Then as I got the prices the other watches and their suspiciously good but not necessarily out of line with other people they just look suspicious. Although is not like I can purchase anything because apparently  he doesn't ship to the USA which seems interesting. EBay have this to say about is on their shipping page

image.thumb.png.55569a2239dbcf89f752806035608f19.png

looks like chatGPT generated:

Question: item description for vintage tissot watch on ebay

Answer:

Title: Vintage Tissot Men's Automatic Watch - Classic Elegance & Precision Timekeeping

Description:
Indulge in timeless sophistication with this Vintage Tissot Men's Automatic Watch, a true testament to Tissot's legacy of craftsmanship and innovation. Crafted with meticulous attention to detail, this watch exudes an air of classic elegance and precision timekeeping.

Featuring a sleek stainless steel case with a polished finish, this vintage timepiece boasts enduring durability and refined aesthetics. The round dial is adorned with a minimalist design, accented by luminous hands and markers, offering optimal readability in any lighting condition.

Powered by a reliable automatic movement, this Tissot watch ensures accurate timekeeping without the need for batteries, embodying the brand's commitment to excellence in horology. The exhibition case back provides a glimpse into the intricate inner workings of the watch, adding a touch of fascination to its allure.

With its versatile design, this Tissot timepiece seamlessly transitions from casual to formal occasions, making it a versatile addition to any watch collection. Whether worn as a statement accessory or a daily companion, this vintage Tissot watch epitomizes timeless style and sophistication.

Don't miss the opportunity to own a piece of horological history. Bid now and make this Vintage Tissot Men's Automatic Watch yours today!

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 1

yes if you look at the description it's interesting like what color is the dial? The other one I'm always suspicious of his people selling watches professionally serviced and the price does not reflect  that.

if you want to have fun go through and read all the descriptions of his watches as they definitely look well they do not look like something that was written by anybody it looks more like a copy and pasting.

oh and currently this is my favorite watch in that look at the images carefully themselves? I had to go and look at another eBay sellers this is eBay UK island to make sure that wasn't something different and normal sellers pictures don't have bonus material in the image. Definitely something not right here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186371739251

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waggy said:

@Neverenoughwatches thanks for the heads-up, the prices of watches, even non-working, needs repair are going insane, so something so cheap should be a red flag. About 6 months ago I fell fowl of such a scam, I saw a Zodiac watch for a good price, but when it arrived it was different from the picture and an obvious Mumbai Special; fake dial, new case etc. I tried talking to the seller, but it was obvious that this was a scam as he said he could replace with a different colour as he had lots.... you live and learn.

I always push for a refund on these cases, if the seller digs his heels in ebay will step in ( ask to speak to an assistant they are obliged to help ). If there is an issue with the sale the seller must offer a refund and send you a return label. If he still does not comply within a set time period ebay forces the refund and the seller will lose his payment and you do not have to return the items. 

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Just had another look, the description is wrong. 

Screenshot_20240404_111613_eBay.jpg

A lot do get the description wrong, did you notice his screenshots from another listing 😅. Besides his prices are way under, and his feedback is unusual. 

2 hours ago, Waggy said:

looks like chatGPT generated:

Question: item description for vintage tissot watch on ebay

Answer:

Title: Vintage Tissot Men's Automatic Watch - Classic Elegance & Precision Timekeeping

Description:
Indulge in timeless sophistication with this Vintage Tissot Men's Automatic Watch, a true testament to Tissot's legacy of craftsmanship and innovation. Crafted with meticulous attention to detail, this watch exudes an air of classic elegance and precision timekeeping.

Featuring a sleek stainless steel case with a polished finish, this vintage timepiece boasts enduring durability and refined aesthetics. The round dial is adorned with a minimalist design, accented by luminous hands and markers, offering optimal readability in any lighting condition.

Powered by a reliable automatic movement, this Tissot watch ensures accurate timekeeping without the need for batteries, embodying the brand's commitment to excellence in horology. The exhibition case back provides a glimpse into the intricate inner workings of the watch, adding a touch of fascination to its allure.

With its versatile design, this Tissot timepiece seamlessly transitions from casual to formal occasions, making it a versatile addition to any watch collection. Whether worn as a statement accessory or a daily companion, this vintage Tissot watch epitomizes timeless style and sophistication.

Don't miss the opportunity to own a piece of horological history. Bid now and make this Vintage Tissot Men's Automatic Watch yours today!

I'm sold it sounds wonderful Waggy, sign me up i dont want to miss the opportunity and send me 1 dozen please. 😅

He has replied to me, they are all his watches. Ive also asked him for a random photo inside the lugs without the strap. He will do what he can he is home by 1500hrs ?  Wtf is that, thats not an English way of saying the time. I feel like playing a little cat and mouse game with him. 

46 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I always push for a refund on these cases, if the seller digs his heels in ebay will step in ( ask to speak to an assistant they are obliged to help ). If there is an issue with the sale the seller must offer a refund and send you a return label. If he still does not comply within a set time period ebay forces the refund and the seller will lose his payment and you do not have to return the items. 

A lot do get the description wrong, did you notice his screenshots from another listing 😅. Besides his prices are way under, and his feedback is unusual. 

I'm sold it sounds wonderful Waggy, sign me up i dont want to miss the opportunity and send me 1 dozen please. 😅

He has replied to me, they are all his watches. Ive also asked him for a random photo inside the lugs without the strap. He will do what he can he is home by 1500hrs ?  Wtf is that, thats not an English way of saying the time. I feel like playing a little cat and mouse game with him. 

I use the 24 hour system all the time Rich, and refer to UTC/GMT/ZULU time in international conference calls, though I don’t do many of those now. As Richard said maybe ex-military/airline/pilot/mariner, I am ex military.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

I use the 24 hour system all the time Rich, and refer to UTC/GMT/ZULU time in international conference calls, though I don’t do many of those now. As Richard said maybe ex-military/airline/pilot/mariner, I am ex military.

Tom

I see that yes, I've never met anyone that uses that .

26 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Ok, it gets even weirder. I did a Google Lens image search on one of his photos and found that it was from an earlier eBay listing. And it's from Pakistan. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404462530789

Good call Hector, hes definitely a dodgy seller then, he has screenshot those pictures dated 11th March. Yey more ammunition, fun evening tonight then 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Ok, it gets even weirder. I did a Google Lens image search on one of his photos and found that it was from an earlier eBay listing. And it's from Pakistan. 

I found another of his has photos from one that sold a month ago in Australia..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186371709129

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404429535724

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rjenkinsgb said:

I found another of his has photos from one that sold a month ago in Australia..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186371709129

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404429535724

🤔 that's the same seller that he copied the Tissot from. I asked for photos of the insides of the lugs, which he did send me, of a similar watch not the same. He hasn't replied to my request of the watches history, I'm eagerly waiting to drop a bombshell on him 😄

3 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

You should let ebay know.

Ha! Ebay doesn't even give you a portal to report such things. 

Anyway, no crime has been committed yet, we can only stand by and watch.

I sometimes visit a forum devoted to watch reproductions and I've seen posts where they say a seller is listing a fake as the genuine article and they seem to be able to report them and get the listing taken down. I think this page is how one can report a seller or listing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

! Ebay doesn't even give you a portal to report such things. 

Anyway, no crime has been

I think you might be right Hector, ive had a quick look and i cant find anything to be able to report such activities.  You can ask to speak to an assistant though so maybe that route is an option.