Ronda 375 running crazy fast after battery change

20240329_223243.thumb.jpg.871251e1a89b8d08223c383211eec371.jpg

This is a watch from a friend who sent it to a neighborhood watchmaker for a battery change. It came back with the watch stem in a ziplock bag and the dial skewed 20°. The watchmaker told him that the stem was faulty and the watch cannot be repaired.

I opened up the watch and found that one dial foot was broken off and still stuck in the movement, while the other was bent until it was flat against the dial. The stem could be inserted but it couldn't be pulled out to quickset and time adjusting positions.

I did a full disassemble, cleaned and oiled the movement. But when it put in the battery, the second hand runs super fast. Like it gains 30 mins every hour.

Any advice on fixing this problem? TIA.

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

The watchmaker told him that the stem was faulty and the watch cannot be repaired.

yes as we know it's quite a common problem when stems go bad the whole watch just disintegrates it's a very strange thing isn't it?

Of course the local watchmaker never expects that anyone else is going to examine his handiwork and contemplate the insanity of this person.

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I did a full disassemble, cleaned and oiled the movement. But when it put in the battery, the second hand runs super fast. Like it gains 30 mins every hour

I don't suppose you have accessed in a test equipment?

then this is a really vintage Rhonda movement and I am attaching the tech sheet. More than likely changing the circuit would solve the problem it's probably the electrical problems someplace. this is because typically slow quartz watches are mechanical issues and the only thing that can make a quartz watch run fast is a circuit issue. Then quartz watches even for regulation can't be regulated for minutes per hour it's usually seconds per day. Or really nice watches seconds per month. But never seconds per hour.

Ronda_373-375-377_TECH.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1