Are these watches worth repairing?

I have these watches received from a friend. He just sent them to me in a box, in case I would like to repair them. These are from a collection of "stopped working" watches he sent to me. There was a Casio watch which only needed a battery. It was an Edifice I guess. Still didn't show these to anyone as I don't know if it's worth spending money on.

Does anyone have any idea whether these watches are of any known brands or some cheap ones? 🙂

I have reduced the photo sizes to save disk space. There are 3 watches here. 2 pocket watches and one wrist watch.

IMG20240325155848.jpg

IMG20240325160010.jpg

IMG20240325160117.jpg

9 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

Would need to see the movements to have much in the way of a clue. 

I should get some tools and open them up to take photos. Or I'll have to get a repairman to open it for me. Not sure if they would only open them, without a repair job. Shall try anyway.

They are cheap fashion watches, the pocket watches probably have a very cheap quartz movement in them, the wrist watch appears to be a chronograph, which if it actually is, is still probably not worth more than what a proper watchmaker would charge to change the battery.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

If you intend to repair them yourself then have a go.

I agree, but as you have no prior experience, start with a large movement either the Unitas 6497 or the Unitas 6498. If you don't want to spend too much money, which is a good idea when you're new, there's a good Chinese clone (I've been told) of the 6497 named TY3600.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?searchTerm=CHI3600M

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 12:32 PM, Timeless said:

I have these watches received from a friend. He just sent them to me in a box, in case I would like to repair them. These are from a collection of "stopped working" watches he sent to me. There was a Casio watch which only needed a battery. It was an Edifice I guess. Still didn't show these to anyone as I don't know if it's worth spending money on.

Does anyone have any idea whether these watches are of any known brands or some cheap ones? 🙂

I have reduced the photo sizes to save disk space. There are 3 watches here. 2 pocket watches and one wrist watch.

IMG20240325155848.jpg

IMG20240325160010.jpg

IMG20240325160117.jpg

If you are interested in the hobby of watch repair then why not. There is no indication on the dials that can be seen that they contain anything other than quartz battery powered movements. Repairable ?  depends on what the batteries have done inside. Cheap fashion watches will contain cheap quartz movements available for just a few of your low value currency, by far the most time - cost efficient way to have them working again. But by all means try your hand at actual repair, this is where the true value of these lay which is the personal experience to you,  the knowledge and skill you will aquire. Enjoy matey.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I am not a tech guy I used to open up mobile phones and repair then following instructions on gsmhosting forum. Minor to mid level repairs, not chip level repairs. Couldn't do any recently, but I was able to actually do it.

I usually take photos at every turn, to make sure I won't forget anything, or at least to be able to put them back together. lol.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and tips.

1 hour ago, Timeless said:

I usually take photos at every turn, to make sure I won't forget anything, or at least to be able to put them back together.

That's an excellent idea! I've been doing this for many years now but I still take a lot pictures.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:35 PM, Kalanag said:

Very cheap 😆

IMG_6082.thumb.jpeg.6b2ee90728fd9e48cd3da46a4a68d4ac.jpeg

Awesome. I can open it up without any doubts that I maybe wasting at least 20 dollars. lol

If anyone really needs this one for any parts then it's yours. I'll open the back and post a photo later.

I did a search and found that one of the pocket watches is a known brand, slightly, from Rhode Island where my friend who sent it is from.

https://james-michael.com/products/pda001004

However I found that the two tiny words (probably like Japan Movt or something) beside number VI are missing in my watch. Also on the half dollar sign of my watch there's 1936 and "In God We Trust".

I feel like Sherlock Holmes now. 😄