My Introduction

Hi to all, I have finally joined after reading many stories on this forum, It has encouraged me to get to work on my own watches as it has become so difficult to get anyone to do repair work, (mostly cleaning), on my watches, I mostly buy for myself to wear but as you can not keep everything and sometimes you end up with a watch worth far more than I am comfortable with wearing on a daily basis, I sometimes sell them, it helps keep my hobby buoyant. I really hate assigning a watch to the mail system to send to someone offshore or even local as insurance is so high and often disallowed for various obtuse reasons, so here I am hoping for a bit of guidance. I have worked on Clocks for around 40 years and have a modicum of tools for watch work.

I have a candidate on the bench right now but I fear it is a bit advanced for my limited skill set as it is an early Longines movement that requires a new balance spring, it is a Cal. 12.68z and I would either like to find a complete balance or a hairspring, I will deal with it as the situation presents itself, I have a person at a local clock club who does work on a lot of watches that has volunteered to help when I see him at club meetings but doesn't have time for the job and lives too far for me to drive comfortably to consult. A real shame my father is with me no longer, he was quite skilled with repairing watches but never taught me.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, I hope you have the chronograph model, hopefully you can straighten that hairspring or find a donor/parts, try and see if any other movement interchanges with yours for a broader search, maybe a 12L, I think the staff is the same....