Hi everyone!  I'm David and I'm pleased to meet all of you.  I inherited some ship's clocks which didn't work (of course) and that started my interest in clock repair and watchmaking.  I learned the basics of watch operation from these clocks since they are very similar to your watches in most respects....   Once the word got out that I can repair clocks and watches, the floodgates have opened!  Everyone wants a watch or clock repaired.  So I'm taking my time but working through them one-by-one.  I can see how professional watchmakers get so backlogged. 

Fun hobby and open to learning more and passing on any tips I learn along the way!  

• Like 1

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Clocks are my thing. How about some photos of what you are working on?

22 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Clocks are my thing. How about some photos of what you are working on?

Certainly!  One is a brass ships clock style with the Hermle 132-071 Movement .  The other is a Chelsea off of the Coast Guard 40 footer that my Father-in-law served on.  It was gifted to him when they decommissioned it... both were non running when I got them, now they run like champs!

20240306_054005.jpg

20240306_054037.jpg

• Like 1

The Hermle is modern. Your  Father-in-law's one is most interesting. Do you know what the case is made of? I see both have the hands in the style of what are called spade. They are so easy to see.  

Yes, the Hermle is modern - it was purchased in the early 80's.  It was taken to a clock repair shop for a service in the 90's (I have the receipt for the service...)  It was absolutely dripping with oil when I opened it.  Runs just fine now and does the nautical "8 Bells" chime like it should.     

The case on the Chelsea is made of Bakelite.  It's a bit discolored, but it kind of adds to the character.  I've attached a couple of pictures of the movement that I took while disassembling it. 

20240104_143112.jpg

20240104_143536.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for the movement photos. Not a bad little movement. Looks nice. I did wonder if it was Bakelite and then I though no as Bakelite can break easy, so I thought it would have to be more robust being in a ship. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.