A small pressing tool

Hey watch people,  hope you are all behaving. Anyone have any idea/ thoughts on a small hand held pressing tool. Just lately ive been going though a load of complete balances and part balances, springs missing , rollers missing  etc. A lot of them with those parts but not installed, to which i started to install them. Using a staking or jewelling tool is near impossible under a microscope though one that i use does a fair job of seeing in good detail what is happening. With or without a scope using a jewelling tool on its side to fit a collet or roller down works ok. But i wondered it there was anything much smaller thats easier to hold and examine under a microscope that could press these on, it wouldn't need to have a microgauge. Something small , approx 3 inch with a fine threaded screw down and able to fit small pushers. Maybe like a depthing tool or something that has another use, as an example i use a modified pushbike chain link remover to push out bracelet links. 

3 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Hi Rich, I haven't understood why you need microscope imaging. What's wrong with the staking set and a loupe?

Hiya Stephen, well no there isn't anything wrong with a loupe and staking set as such. I'm just looking for a more convenient way to assemble a balance. What i dont like about the staking set is the position your head needs to be in to see whats happening and i know nothing can be done about that, the tool can only be used upright and the frame can be a bit distracting when looking from different angles ( for me anyway because I'm an awkward bugger ) So apart from using a stake kit to fit a staff i always press on the roller and hairspring freehand using a block, and usually with a loupe. So i changed that and tried doing it with a jeweling tool on its side, worked ok using a loupe for magnification better still under a scope . My thoughts are to simplify that further with something i can pick up, look at it easily from all sides and from above and that can fuction like a jeweling tool but more hand holdable without a micrometer . 

I had a very small staking tool with punches and plugs. The tool I could hold in my hand. I have never seen another. I was lucky I was given all the tools at my place of work including stock and machines, some of the tools were extremely old going back to late Victorian. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Klassiker said:

What about a pin vice, or something similar with finer jaws, to hold the staff, tweezers to position the collet or roller, and a freehand stake to push it into place?

Thats kind of how i do it on the bench but the balance is in a staking block,but i get where you are going with being able to hold it up, which makes everything more visual. I was looking for more of a small frame that that can be hand held and supports the balance with a screw press. Like a mini case back screw press. Same principle as a jewelling tool just smaller and less complex . If you look at a depthing tool and then imagine one of the runners is screw driven, or a trupoise that has screw adjustment at one end. You could actually modify the nibs of a pair of truing calipers, i dont think you would get quite the same pushing force, they're not designed to press.

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

17092984408801209033246627309122.jpg

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I had a very small staking tool with punches and plugs. The tool I could hold in my hand. I have never seen another. I was lucky I was given all the tools at my place of work including stock and machines, some of the tools were extremely old going back to late Victorian. 

4 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

352325248-918606789.thumb.jpg.5fe774253ca7180a28648091dbdad29e.jpg

How about some bearing pullers?

NEW Tooth Extractor Pinion Puller Motor Gear Extractor Mini 4WD Tools for RC Tamiya Mini 4WD Car DIY
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mq0Pg58

Yeah that sort of thing H but with less frame work, a simple U shaped frame so that you are able to see all around the balance to check that the collet and roller are pressing on ok and you aren't pressing too far. Literally just this but with changable pushers and stumps. I just wondered if there was already something that simple that was made.

Screenshot_20240301-132311_eBay.jpg

Actually a micrometer would work perfectly if it could take pushers

31 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thats kind of how i do it on the bench but the balance is in a staking block,but i get where you are going with being able to hold it up, which makes everything more visual. I was looking for more of a small frame that that can be hand held and supports the balance with a screw press. Like a mini case back screw press. Same principle as a jewelling tool just smaller and less complex . If you look at a depthing tool and then imagine one of the runners is screw driven, or a trupoise that has screw adjustment at one end. You could actually modify the nibs of a pair of truing calipers, i dont think you would get quite the same pushing force, they're not designed to press.

Yeah that sort of thing H but with less frame work, a simple U shaped frame so that you are able to see all around the balance to check that the collet and roller are pressing on ok and you aren't pressing too far. Literally just this but with changable pushers and stumps. I just wondered if there was already something that simple that was made.

🤦‍♂️ ive just found exactly what i wanted , it just needs modifying. 

17093002493716032551691621548772.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

I think the 4th one in @HectorLooi photo is interesting for this application having changeable “punches” and base. That suggests to me that custom base could be made along with custom punches and stakes done on a lathe.

Tom

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

🤦‍♂️ ive just found exactly what i wanted , it just needs modifying. 

17093002493716032551691621548772.jpg

Quick thought,  the adjustable stop unscrews so does the micrometer adjustment. Drill some brass rod into the ends, one end can have a notch to accommodate the roller pin. 

17093008128898722007522400868281.jpg

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

I think the 4th one in @HectorLooi photo is interesting for this application having changeable “punches” and base. That suggests to me that custom base could be made along with custom punches and stakes done on a lathe.

Tom

What about the one above i just posted using brass rod for pushers ? The micrometer end has a ratchet 👍. Bloody thing has been looking at me and waving " I'm here you muppet I'm here " 🤣  just realised the adjustment side will need a bearing or it will turn the balance.🤔

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1