Ebay charges and fees beware!!

I have not sold on eBay for many years but recently sold some letterpress printing type + cases in an auction and sold them for £20.

In my opinion at absolute bargain but that  what rules are etc,etc. But I actually received £15.00 yes that’s right eBay now takes 25% commission.

Today eBay have announced further increases as follows:

What’s changing?

From 8 April 2024, this new regulatory operating fee will apply to all sales from listings on the following sites: UK, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland.

How the regulatory operating fee is calculated

This fee is calculated as a fixed percentage rate (0.35%) of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, taxes and any other applicable fees), and is subject to Value Added Tax (VAT), where applicable. This fee is in addition to any final value fees and selling-related fees you currently incur.

So please be aware selling on eBay when someone makes a cheeky offer you are getting 25.35% less than actuals.

In the UK Facebook marketplace is free

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1

• clockboy changed the title to Ebay charges and fees beware!!

Was that a percentage cut, or a $5 listing fee? I've sold on eBay many times, and it's usually a low single digit total, but I also usually won't bother with eBay for small ticket items.

FBMP is a pox. May be free, but the search functionality is useless, the spam is intense, and the quality of listings is terrible. I miss Craigslist (a sentence that almost hurts to say). I've taken to adding "Please begin any reply with the phrase (insert weird and unusual combination of words here; "squirrel trousers" is my go-to) so I know you read the ad and aren't a spambot." If I get a message that doesn't include the magic words, I don't waste any time. Even then, the sheer volume of spambots/illiterates requiring nothing more than a glance can get intense.

Yes I am aware the Facebook marketplace does not have the audience like eBay. However there must be a taper off for the larger items.

I sold a Brietling watch for approx . £1600 on eBay and received £1400 ie just under a 13% fee. (£200).

• 3 months later...

Waisting some time on eBay... Saw these , then noticed the shipping.

image.thumb.png.66fb687a742c6341c393a4e7e9d2e4dd.png

When the shipping is 4 times the cost of the watch it's either a serious oversight by the lister, or an attempt to rip you off. Either way, beware!

• Like 1

I noticed this recently, and clicked on a couple of items to see why the postage was so expensive. When I looked at the item, the postage was reasonable. It was only the listing that showed a high amount. 

It seems to have been a bug that's been fixed. This is now the listing for the last item 

image.png.9990cd7ab164a508b3300933162d7ce0.png

On 2/22/2024 at 9:11 AM, clockboy said:

In my opinion at absolute bargain but that  what rules are etc,etc. But I actually received £15.00 yes that’s right eBay now takes 25% commission.

I sell a few watches on ebay, but wouldn't if they took 25% commission !

The selling fees in the UK in 2024 are :  

image.png.175f914203f3fcbab5388a92a81fb7d4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mikepilk said:

I noticed this recently, and clicked on a couple of items to see why the postage was so expensive. When I looked at the item, the postage was reasonable. It was only the listing that showed a high amount. 

I was looking at a pocket watch on eBay where currently the bidding seems reasonable but I suspect that will change. Shipping costs US mail ground $29.50. As looking at all the other items the person sells wristwatches whatever most items are less than $10 but not a pocket watch. All those pocket watches are $29.50.  Which of course makes me think twice about even bidding on an item where I'm going to get ripped off on the shipping charge

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 7:26 PM, JohnR725 said:

Which of course makes me think twice about even bidding on an item where I'm going to get ripped off on the shipping charge

Sometimes you can get the items so cheaply, it's worth paying the extra postage. If it's worth paying $30 for, then it doesn't matter if its $10 + $20 postage or $20 + $10 postage.

I can give an actual example.  I just this minute bought a watch from ebay and had to pay £7.99 for postage - which is a lot, as it's in the UK. But I only paid £9.99 for the watch 🤣

(The cal is AS 1951)

image.png.d89a453c111116220148c862749b4098.png

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 1