Reassembly of strike and chime movements

MikeEll

Hi there, I've been servicing a few strike and chime movements under the guidance of my father, a veteran watch/clockmaker.  His help is brilliant, but I wondered if there was any additional guidance online that you might recommend to walk me through the steps of assembling the strike and chime parts of the movement, in particular about correct positioning of gathering pallets, racks etc.  How does the warning mechanism work etc.  Many thanks.

Hi. Ther are many videos and on line help but a lot of them show only the bits that went right, they are helpful for guidance as long as you do not follow verbatim. Many use bad practices in the likes of bushing treatment of pivots  plates etc.      I personally use books as those wrillen by Laurie Pennman , Mike Watters , Brian Loomes. Henry B fried.     One could list very many more.  With your Farther by your side you will be ok, he has probably forgotten more than we know already. The old guys had to learn the hard way. They are probably not up to speed with modern practices.  Listen to what Dad has to sat.

Yes, absolutely.  He's still going strong at almost 80 years old and has repaired thousands of watches and clocks in that time, I'm extremely lucky to benefit from his knowledge on the subject, and to solve the various pitfalls I make along the way.  I'm all over YouTube as additional guidance, but as you say the videos are limited.  None of the ones I've found really walk through the process of how to reassemble these mechanisms fully.  

I found this that I thought was quite a good explanation of a typical modern strike mechanism - https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/883086

Hi Mike. Iam cracking on a bi my self two weeks off the big 80. When I started Horology as a hobby there were no videos  and getting your hands# on books wasn’t easy.  Tweezers were Dumont no fancy brands then, as the hobby became popular and people could gain access to material houses for parts etc the prices went up accordingly. Over the years I have accumulated quit a bit of kit  and bits, don’t throw anything away. I have some information on clocks if I can find it, now on three computers and several flash drives, I will post it up.  Cheers

• Like 2

There is nothing better then to have someone next to you at the bench. Getting your hands dirty is the best way. Books can only teach you so much. You dad has come across far more problems then what are in books. He can watch you and tell you how to go about putting the wheels in there respective places and the position the strike and chime warning wheels should be next to the fans, this so you have good warning with out lifting the hammers. Don't for get we can also help you. I love helping with clocks.  

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 3

thanks, guys; I really appreciate the help.  I totally agree, too; it's far better to gain the experience first-hand.  I'm a reader, though; I find it really helps me to study a subject in parallel to practising it.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Listen to DAD, trust me, as has been said he probably has forgotten more  than most of us know. Having sat next to you at the bench with his knowledge, trust me one day of sitting with Dad is the equivalent of say 4 months of trying to learn this stuff by yourself.

Use youtube to aid you on your way but you have what so many people can only dream of and thats your own personal mentor for free.

• Like 1