My remote Accutron Service Center

OK...more like a "place" than a "center."

I will be spending half my time here, so I needed some way to do horology. Since Accutrons need a subset of my tools, and I have about 50 to work on, I decided that I could setup to do just Accutrons here. I still need a cleaning setup...working on that!

I have the microscope, test set, and the hand tools.

Today, I took an Accutron that was not working, opened it up, adjusted the index and got it running. It needs a cleaning, but I was proving the tool set to see if anything was missing.

Hopefully I will solve the cleaning methodology over the next couple of weeks.

20231222_154148.jpg

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Thanks Doc.

I have a megasonic 720hz ( pic follows)  what model electric meter do I need? 

https://electric-watches.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/Omega-Megasonic-720Hz-Lobster-7.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266572933614?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jsSe5AxvQrK&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=v36TsHWBSw-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This seems to be the only one available at the moment. Price is a bit high.

22 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I have a few 214s in the group, but am pushing them to the end of the cycle. Will definitely lean on you guys to help me... appreciate you guys so much!!

I take it you have a copy of Fried's second edition? He details the 214 and 218 (pages 103 and 134, respectively). There might be more recent documentation.

20231124_225628~3.jpg

20231124_225812~3.jpg

20231124_225722~3.jpg

Edited by Razz
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 7:47 AM, Nucejoe said:

I have a megasonic 720hz ( pic follows)  what model electric meter do I need? 

Is it running? This is a very interesting watch getting parts for it is extremely difficult plus you really should have the service manual do you have the service manual?

On 12/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, LittleWatchShop said:

25uA meters are kinda rare

They show up on eBay occasionally very occasionally. Analog meters seem to be a thing of the past and getting a really nice analog meter is rather difficult now as nobody seems to be selling them anymore except on the eBay.

This is why even Bulova in their factory service used an amplifier for their meter.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

Is it running? This is a very interesting watch getting parts for it is extremely difficult plus you really should have the service manual do you have the service manual?

No its  not , bought it as a non runner, and suspect  some watch destroyer has been at it, perhaps should tag it as a donor, but I wouldn't know which part is good which bad .

The picture I posted is from internet, mine doesn't look half as good.

Rgds

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

They show up on eBay occasionally very occasionally. Analog meters seem to be a thing of the past and getting a really nice analog meter is rather difficult now as nobody seems to be selling them anymore except on the eBay.

This is why even Bulova in their factory service used an amplifier for their meter.

https://www.newark.com/simpson/17596/current-meter/dp/55F5328

Did you notice the specifications for your 25 µA meter? It's a plus or minus meter it's not a 0 to 25 kind of. EBay is still a nice place to get meters if you're patient anticipating someday I might build a new power supply I managed to get a 0 to 20 µA meter who knows where though it is lurking in the house they purchased a while back.

image.png.5b8e8938f42bacef67eafe8e26e5d43f.png

15 hours ago, Razz said:

I take it you have a copy of Fried's second edition? He details the 214 and 218 (pages 103 and 134, respectively). There might be more recent documentation

The other source of service manuals for Accutron Is it just download the PDF's as the book is basically a copy of the service manual anyway. The link below has all sorts of interesting Bulova stuff with all of the tuning fork service males etc. found basically at the bottom of the page

https://www.mybulova.com/vintage-bulova-catalogs

5 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Did you notice the specifications for your 25 µA meter? It's a plus or minus meter it's not a 0 to 25 kind of. EBay is still a nice place to get meters if you're patient anticipating someday I might build a new power supply I managed to get a 0 to 20 µA meter who knows where though it is lurking in the house they purchased a while back.

image.png.5b8e8938f42bacef67eafe8e26e5d43f.png

The other source of service manuals for Accutron Is it just download the PDF's as the book is basically a copy of the service manual anyway. The link below has all sorts of interesting Bulova stuff with all of the tuning fork service males etc. found basically at the bottom of the page

https://www.mybulova.com/vintage-bulova-catalogs

Ha! I missed the range.

On 12/24/2023 at 3:32 PM, Nucejoe said:

No its  not , bought it as a non runner, and suspect  some watch destroyer has been at it, perhaps should tag it as a donor, but I wouldn't know which part is good which bad .

The picture I posted is from internet, mine doesn't look half as good.

On 12/23/2023 at 7:47 AM, Nucejoe said:

megasonic 720hz

It's a shame about the running aspect because when it's running it's really interesting it's not your usual tuning fork watch. I don't suppose you ever looked up and looked at the inside of it? It's quite interesting was very different than the tuning fork watches were currently discussing like no need the phase it's been done by the factory it either works or it doesn't. Then a course everything else has to be right the gears are really interesting very interesting which will make no sense at all unless you actually have seen the picture of the inside of this watch or you have the service manual