Hi All,

I got an original ETA 6497 movement from a beaten up pocket watch,  The movement is missing a hairspring and the hairspring stud screw has also been shred off.

It would be reasonable easy, and cost efficient, to source a full used balance assembly with a balance bridge and all. However, I would still like to keep my original balance bridge, since it has a nice finish on it. Thus, my plan was to source a full balance assembly and swap my original balance bridge into it.

The only problem with the plan is that I cannot figure out how the regulator assembly should be separated from the bridge. It is held in place by the incabloc assembly. So that has to come off first, but how? If somebody knows, I would appreciate a tip. 😉

-Thanks

I don't think ETA made the fixed stud version,  both stud arm and regulator arm are made of spring material ( in mobile stud carrier version)  so snaps in and out of place.

If this terms sound unfamiliar to you, find a picture like yours on internet and give us the link here. 

Rgds

18 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I don't think ETA made the fixed stud version,  both stud arm and regulator arm are made of spring material ( in mobile stud carrier version)  so snaps in and out of place.

If this terms sound unfamiliar to you, find a picture like yours on internet and give us the link here. 

Rgds

Both the stud arm and the regulator arm seem to have a slit in their "hoops". It might well be possible that I could just snap them out. Entirely another matter is that do I have guts to try it. Below is a picture of my balance bridge. The slits are just just about visible in the picture.

balance_bridge.png

This is incabloc shock system, both arms you see are spring and snap in and out of place.

In case you came to need detaching  the setting , check underside of the cock, either there is a retaining circlip, or no circlip. 

Seperate the setting from the cock,then  all pieces come out peacefully.

Good luck

Edited by Nucejoe

4 hours ago, BrotherOfOrville said:

Both the stud arm and the regulator arm seem to have a slit in their "hoops". It might well be possible that I could just snap them out. Entirely another matter is that do I have guts to try it. 

For less scary approach,  try inserting a safety razor blade into the seam between stud & regulator arm hoops, near the slit ,  this would raise one side of the spring and makes snapping it out appear less risky.

I know, it looks unsafe to attempt snaping em out, one expectes it to break or bend,  it does bend and bent ones are unusable.

Good luck Pal.

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

snapping it out appear less risky

Rather than snapping out the entire setting can be pushed out as it's actually meant to come apart for this reason. Of course that assumes that somebody has the proper pushers. Then occasionally when you buy these watches you'll find that the parts Sometimes have snapped out all by themselves mysterious gremlins playing with the watch.

Then for parts I have a link below but it presents a problem. The watch has gone through evolutions and finding the correct parts for the older one can be an issue for instance your regulator arm isn't in stock. Which is typical for vintage parts

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=ETA_6497

Then on the movement itself does it actually have eta or does it have UT instead? In other words it's earlier life it had a different symbol and the parts can be found here. But unfortunately is the exact same stud holder which still listens and stocks you'll have to go looking for but this is a really popular watch so you should build will find something

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=UT_6497

Is the incabloc "cup" (or what ever that part should be called...) just a friction fit to the bridge? If it is, I don't currently have any suitable tool to push it out, but maybe I can find something, if keep my eyes open.

I think I also try to snap out the broken stud arm from the bridge. The part is already ruined. it doesn't matter if I mangle it more. If I manage to take the arm out and put it back in, maybe I could also risk it with a replacement part. 

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

2 hours ago, BrotherOfOrville said:

I don't currently have any suitable tool to push it out, but maybe I can find something, if keep my eyes open.

Sharpen a wooden popsicle stick with a pencil sharpner, cut the sharpened end so you have a diameter about that of the setting to press the setting  out with.

No need to take the setting out to fit stud and regulator arms, I just said that as an alternative bcz you ready to go with snap it out.

https://www.great-british-watch.co.uk/watch-anti-shock-settings/