Hairspring

Murks

Can some help please my hairspring stud has come out the hairspring little tiny bit of the spring broke near the stud I don't know if that's going to effect the timing now a reconnected back on the stud but a can't find the taper pin that goes on the stud is there way a can make or buy one does matter what side a fit the taper pin when reconnected to the stud?

20231210_082432.jpg

Edited by Murks

You can shellac the spring into stud hole, epoxy five would do too.

Some manufacturers glued to begin with.

Your watch will keep time with acceptable accuracy, as long as no shellac gets on the breathing part of the spring.

Rgds

2 hours ago, Murks said:

Can some help please my hairspring stud has come out the hairspring little tiny bit of the spring broke near the stud I don't know if that's going to effect the timing now a reconnected back on the stud but a can't find the taper pin that goes on the stud is there way a can make or buy one does matter what side a fit the taper pin when reconnected to the stud?

20231210_082432.jpg

I thought I'd seen the brass taper pins on cousins site. The pin is fitted to the outside of the hairspring, when I've done them in the past i have filed a flat side onto the pin to fit against the hairspring.  Doing that makes it possible to square up the hairspring before pushing the pin fully home

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I thought I'd seen the brass taper pins on cousins site. The pin is fitted to the outside of the hairspring, when I've done them in the past i have filed a flat side onto the pin to fit against the hairspring.  Doing that makes it possible to square up the hairspring before pushing the pin fully home

I've only had to do this twice but this way both times with success. I got the cousins pins and filed one side. I did break a few pins before one looked correct…

21 hours ago, rehajm said:

I've only had to do this twice but this way both times with success. I got the cousins pins and filed one side. I did break a few pins before one looked correct…

A good way to file the pin is to sink it in some soft grained timber, almost to the pin's full depth along the grain of the timber. Once its embedded you barely need to hold the pin. 70 % of the time it works every time 😉

2 hours ago, Murks said:

Thanks alot haven't tried it yet but when a will I'll let you know how it went have to order the pins first on cousin do the come in different size when order ?

Probably just an assorted mix murks.