Thanks for letting me join

ianrichards

Good morning from a somewhat cold Cornwall in England. 
I’m a total novice when it comes to horology but eager to learn. 
Being a practical sort of guy with a well equipped model engineering workshop I foresee an enjoyable time ahead. 
To start with I have put together a set of basic tools sufficient for me to disassemble and reassemble a pocket watch. Rather than try and fix a faulty one, I’ve acquired a cheap Sekonda that’s working. That way I have a fixed reference point to work too. 
Armed with my smartphone camera to record each step and a steady hand, what can possibly go wrong !!!

Recently rebuilt a 1947 Norton motorbike engine with this approach and only had one bit left over in the tray. Took me two further attempts to find out that the extra part wasn’t to do with the engine, it just “found” its way into the tray !!!

So, expect to hear from me again soon. 
Thanks in advance. 
Ian

1 hour ago, ianrichards said:

Good morning from a somewhat cold Cornwall in England. 
I’m a total novice when it comes to horology but eager to learn. 
Being a practical sort of guy with a well equipped model engineering workshop I foresee an enjoyable time ahead. 
To start with I have put together a set of basic tools sufficient for me to disassemble and reassemble a pocket watch. Rather than try and fix a faulty one, I’ve acquired a cheap Sekonda that’s working. That way I have a fixed reference point to work too. 
Armed with my smartphone camera to record each step and a steady hand, what can possibly go wrong !!!

Recently rebuilt a 1947 Norton motorbike engine with this approach and only had one bit left over in the tray. Took me two further attempts to find out that the extra part wasn’t to do with the engine, it just “found” its way into the tray !!!

So, expect to hear from me again soon. 
Thanks in advance. 
Ian

Welcome Ian, so of the same principles apply to watches only on a much smaller scale. What can go wrong ?  Just about everything you can imagine 😆.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

You might find this helpful.

704789946_TZIllustratedGlossary(2).pdf 4.2 MB · 1 download

That’s brilliant. Thanks. Just what I needed. 

Hello. Welcome. I began 24 month ago looking at a Sekonda with a Slava movement 2428 manual. I have moved onto Slava 2427 which is the automatic . If they are the ones you are working with then I can give you the youtube locations of some excellent tutorials.

This is great hobby and the member's here a very good and informative.  

This is a malnija 3602 or a variant of 3602, Russian made, and a copy of cortebert. 

Barrel bridge is not jeweled, did you count the capstone on escapewheel too.

Is the hairspring flat or overcoil?   several variants were made at two factories.