Timegrapher Says, +/- 8S/d. Real Life Shows Fast By20 Secs/min

Legarm

Serviced ETA 2871, put on timegrapher and the Timegrapher says, +/- 8s/d. Real life shows fast by 20 secs/min.

Could the mainspring be wrong? didn't renew it on servicing as all looked good.

Any ideas chaps & Ladies.........

Keith

Serviced ETA 2871, put on timegrapher and the Timegrapher says, +/- 8s/d. Real life shows fast by 20 secs/min.

Could the mainspring be wrong? didn't renew it on servicing as all looked good.

Any ideas chaps & Ladies.........

Keith

Tested in different angles ? Upside down ? 

Hi Keith, have you tried checking your timegrapher against a watch that you know keeps good time? If not, it might be worth doing just in case it has developed a fault. It certainly is an odd result you are getting and I know you would have checked all the usual possibilities.

When you say real life, do you mean real life while wearing it?  or if you set it on the desk face up and 'don't touch it' for an hour is it 20 seconds a minute fast?

I had one that I thought had a similiar issue but it turned out to be a loose cannon pinion and the minute hand was moving around making me think it was running fast and of course the timeographer was showing normal.

The timegrapher listens to the escapement and it sounds like this is doing exactly what it should.

Is it possiblie to mix up the train wheels on this movement to get the wrong ratios?

S

Hmmmmm...... no, mix the train wheels and it won,t budge as the pinion leaves would be in oposition on at least one wheel. 

Sounds like the escapement is slipping. You can get this fault with clocks all looks great but it slips now and again and whizzes on a bit then functions normal again for a while. The cause in clocks is normally is a very badly worn escapement. 

Have you checked this area on the watch is it functioning correctly. The only other thing I can think of is the minute hand is loose & is slipping  around the minute wheel post or a loose cannon pinion.

When you say real life, do you mean real life while wearing it?  or if you set it on the desk face up and 'don't touch it' for an hour is it 20 seconds a minute fast?

I had one that I thought had a similiar issue but it turned out to be a loose cannon pinion and the minute hand was moving around making me think it was running fast and of course the timeographer was showing normal.

The cannon pinion on the 2871 is drived by a Driving wheel, perhaps this has come loose from the wheel. I shall check when I've had me Brekky............... Keith

Sounds like the escapement is slipping. You can get this fault with clocks all looks great but it slips now and again and whizzes on a bit then functions normal again for a while. The cause in clocks is normally is a very badly worn escapement. 

Have you checked this area on the watch is it functioning correctly. The only other thing I can think of is the minute hand is loose & is slipping  around the minute wheel post or a loose cannon pinion.

Does function normally at all. I am going to check the cannon driving wheel..............

Checked the pinion and it is as it should be.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

This has me & others totally baffled. If the hands are not slipping & the cannon pinion is good then it is a total mystery as the timegrapher is showing no errors with the main train. Is the cannon pinion riding up or is the dial washer missing.

Have you tested the watch on the timegrapher fully assembled.

Did you replace any parts on the service and did you check what frequency the timegrapher showed? Was the watch working before you serviced it?

This calibre can be converted from 3hz to 4hz by swapping the balance, escape wheel and sweep second wheel. Yours should show 21600 on the timegrapher rather than 28800...

If you leave the watch on the timegrapher for one minute, does it gain there or only when being worn?

S

• Like 1

Did you replace any parts on the service and did you check what frequency the timegrapher showed? Was the watch working before you serviced it?

This calibre can be converted from 3hz to 4hz by swapping the balance, escape wheel and sweep second wheel. Yours should show 21600 on the timegrapher rather than 28800...

If you leave the watch on the timegrapher for one minute, does it gain there or only when being worn?

S

Just my thought? But couldn't confirm it . Could it be a mix of parts between the two different movements . Think  if you have the wrong balance? 

Edited by rogart63

This has me & others totally baffled. If the hands are not slipping & the cannon pinion is good then it is a total mystery as the timegrapher is showing no errors with the main train. Is the cannon pinion riding up or is the dial washer missing.

Have you tested the watch on the timegrapher fully assembled.

Tested fully assembled and Mvt only. It's a really nice condition West End Military. So really want to get it correct. Can't have the Army turning up too early....

S

Not changed any parts. Was running fast when I got it. All I can think of is the Mainspring has been replaced in the past and over-powered. 

Tested fully assembled and Mvt only. It's a really nice condition West End Military. So really want to get it correct. Can't have the Army turning up too early....

Not changed any parts. Was running fast when I got it. All I can think of is the Mainspring has been replaced in the past and over-powered. 

If it is the mainspring then I would have thought it would run fast all of the time also I have read if a spring is fitted that is too strong you get a issue called over banking and you would not get nice reading on the timegrapher.

If it is the mainspring then I would have thought it would run fast all of the time also I have read if a spring is fitted that is too strong you get a issue called over banking and you would not get nice reading on the timegrapher.

it does run fast all the time