Omega 562 date indicator driving wheel issue

Tino

Hi all,

Got a vintage Omega Geneve from ~1960 that was working as a charm until this morning when I realized that the watch was stopped while on the watch winder. After a quick inspection I realized that the date wheel seemed to be blocked just before the new day was perfectly engaged. Just setting the hour with the crown made the watch start again but the date seemed to be stucked. I removed the movement from the case and the dial to access the date wheel. Since nothing seemed out of normal I then removed the date wheel and found that a little piece of metal (which I think was supposed to make the date wheel advanced was loose). You can see some pictures in attachment. Note that the metal piece was found lose on the date indicator driving wheel. I'm not sure though if the piece is broken or if it could be simply fit back on the wheel. In which case if any would have a reference picture or diagrams of how it was supposed to be (I tried to look here but the image quality is too poor -piece 1564 )that would be really helpful. Thanks!

PA100777.jpg

PA100778.jpg

Hi Watchweasol, 

Thanks for the reference. Interresting, looking at the images on the post, this one is the closest to the piece I  need: IMG_1901.jpg

The strange thing is that it .. actually doesn't look exactly the same. I tried to search for the piece (563 - 1564 as per the Omega technical guide) on used parts sites and the metal bit that is suppose to move the date wheel looks different compared with the one I have. Will continue to do some searching and maybe try to get a spare one with the intended reference. Will keep you posted if I solve my issue.

Here's a pic I took when I was cleaning my 565, which has the same part. 

The end of the metal springy bit sits in the slot and is crimped to hold it in place.

It looks like yours is broken. You could probably repair it. I'd measure the thickness and use a bit of feeler gauge.  

image.png.987b6bea326ef4797cd230cd207efde2.png

• Like 1

Thank you mikepilk, your picture is super helpful. Will give it a shot repairing it, if not will order a replacement. Also thanks for confirming that the 565 (and the 563 if I'm correct) uses the same part :).

10 minutes ago, Tino said:

Thank you mikepilk, your picture is super helpful. Will give it a shot repairing it, if not will order a replacement. Also thanks for confirming that the 565 (and the 563 if I'm correct) uses the same part :).

The Jules Borel Database is very useful for telling you which movements use the same part. Here are the movements which use the same  #1564

image.png.ede369d9787d8615a5b5361fa561f735.png

Cousins don't have the part, but I just did a search on  ebay and there's plenty on sale.

51 minutes ago, Tino said:

The strange thing is that it .. actually doesn't look exactly the same. I tried to search for the piece (563 - 1564 as per the Omega technical guide) on used parts sites and the metal bit that is suppose to move the date wheel looks different compared with the one I have. Will continue to do some searching and maybe try to get a spare one with the intended reference. Will keep you posted if I solve my issue.

18 minutes ago, Tino said:

Also thanks for confirming that the 565 (and the 563 if I'm correct) uses the same part :).

Interesting timing for this particular part. Somewhere else the other day someone was having an issue with a different brand of watch totally different part and in that discussion I suggested that sometimes the watch companies make mistakes and do upgrades of components. The problem with the upgrades are the upgraded documentation typically never finds its way back to the original documentation for a variety of reasons.

For instance Swatch group is extremely paranoid over who even sees their documentation. Let's give an example at one time cousins had access to their documentation. Here's an example every single page of Omega documentation as what I call a watermark. Notice we can see who downloaded it contact information and the exact time and date of the download. So anyone who had access to anyone who has a Swatch group account would actually never release the PDF ever the best you might hold for some kind soul snipping out images. Which is explaining why stuff is been airbrushed out of the images just in case you're curious

image.png.4f5b5549247a89aca23664896702d545.png

Then based on yesterday or whatever that other discussion occurred that person needed a part 201 and had looked on the website suggested above and of course it was discontinued. With some minor notes on the definition of discontinued in the US at least if you have access to a physical material house or even the site above it's still worth emailing or reaching out to them because even though the parts discontinued it's always possible it's in stock some place. Unlike cousins where everything is online if you look carefully at the US material houses only a fraction of what they have is online you have to make friends and you have to inquire if you want to get your parts

now that particular person needed a center wheel which was labeled part 201 discontinued. If you're at the site above you can look and see what watches cross reference to your part number. As a reminder in his case 201 is a part description not an exact part number. So what the older numbering system if you had a package with the parts you would have the part number in his case 201 with whatever the caliber number's. Currently the Swiss have updated their numbering system to him much longer number which is an exact part. It looks like the last four digits are the old part number so for instance your part would look like this

oh and the reason for a number for the parts is the Swiss typically operate in four separate languages and writing those languages on packages the size of a postage stamp that have your part where how that would be really tiny and a lot of writings which is why they just haven't item number in the caliber number and maybe a few other words but not much else.

image.png.73797e951f2bf3961e8c24b59aed6be9.png

Then evolution of technical documentation what exactly does it mean? A lot of the technical documentation we see was scanned by individuals and/or companies for purposes of parts identification so a lot of the stuff will not have servicing information. Conceivably servicing information may exist it just never was scan. Then we have like modern Omega where the part numbers came of the technical guide but all the technical guide has is parts numbers there is no servicing information.

But maybe there were upgrades changes modifications whatever that would be in a separate document with a title like this.

image.png.019044175003a227e2a1f032984905ff.png

You'll notice 563 is listed.

Now back to your original question of why is your part looking different in different watches for the exact same part and the reason is it's been upgraded. So somebody selling a part they took out of a watch or pictures of an older watch etc. it may have the original part versus the modern part that it's supposed to have. So the image below talks about that and tells you when the new part came into existence. You will note with the numbering scheme the part number does not change for the old versus the new version.

image.png.f59c15983e913f4efe826c296d96afc9.pngNo

Then unfortunately for me I would much prefer to snip out a tiny image and bypass the corners it looks like several more pages related to the date. Also pay attention to each of the sections on the page as they do refer to specific calibers and not every single item is for your watch. A oh and then the things that are highlighted in blue is because they've updated the documentation in which each documentation update they highlight whatever is or has been updated. In other words certain documentations can get quite colorful with lots of highlighting one entire sections were added in.

image.png.75367e8aa5bca8a86b36cd92b33f4d39.png

image.png.6d61e329670593b5bf3b0edf6e0e4b55.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Interesting timing for this particular part. Somewhere else the other day someone was having an issue with a different brand of watch totally different part and in that discussion I suggested that sometimes the watch companies make mistakes and do upgrades of components. The problem with the upgrades are the upgraded documentation typically never finds its way back to the original documentation for a variety of reasons.

For instance Swatch group is extremely paranoid over who even sees their documentation. Let's give an example at one time cousins had access to their documentation. Here's an example every single page of Omega documentation as what I call a watermark. Notice we can see who downloaded it contact information and the exact time and date of the download. So anyone who had access to anyone who has a Swatch group account would actually never release the PDF ever the best you might hold for some kind soul snipping out images. Which is explaining why stuff is been airbrushed out of the images just in case you're curious

image.png.4f5b5549247a89aca23664896702d545.png

Then based on yesterday or whatever that other discussion occurred that person needed a part 201 and had looked on the website suggested above and of course it was discontinued. With some minor notes on the definition of discontinued in the US at least if you have access to a physical material house or even the site above it's still worth emailing or reaching out to them because even though the parts discontinued it's always possible it's in stock some place. Unlike cousins where everything is online if you look carefully at the US material houses only a fraction of what they have is online you have to make friends and you have to inquire if you want to get your parts

now that particular person needed a center wheel which was labeled part 201 discontinued. If you're at the site above you can look and see what watches cross reference to your part number. As a reminder in his case 201 is a part description not an exact part number. So what the older numbering system if you had a package with the parts you would have the part number in his case 201 with whatever the caliber number's. Currently the Swiss have updated their numbering system to him much longer number which is an exact part. It looks like the last four digits are the old part number so for instance your part would look like this

oh and the reason for a number for the parts is the Swiss typically operate in four separate languages and writing those languages on packages the size of a postage stamp that have your part where how that would be really tiny and a lot of writings which is why they just haven't item number in the caliber number and maybe a few other words but not much else.

image.png.73797e951f2bf3961e8c24b59aed6be9.png

Then evolution of technical documentation what exactly does it mean? A lot of the technical documentation we see was scanned by individuals and/or companies for purposes of parts identification so a lot of the stuff will not have servicing information. Conceivably servicing information may exist it just never was scan. Then we have like modern Omega where the part numbers came of the technical guide but all the technical guide has is parts numbers there is no servicing information.

But maybe there were upgrades changes modifications whatever that would be in a separate document with a title like this.

image.png.019044175003a227e2a1f032984905ff.png

You'll notice 563 is listed.

Now back to your original question of why is your part looking different in different watches for the exact same part and the reason is it's been upgraded. So somebody selling a part they took out of a watch or pictures of an older watch etc. it may have the original part versus the modern part that it's supposed to have. So the image below talks about that and tells you when the new part came into existence. You will note with the numbering scheme the part number does not change for the old versus the new version.

image.png.f59c15983e913f4efe826c296d96afc9.pngNo

Then unfortunately for me I would much prefer to snip out a tiny image and bypass the corners it looks like several more pages related to the date. Also pay attention to each of the sections on the page as they do refer to specific calibers and not every single item is for your watch. A oh and then the things that are highlighted in blue is because they've updated the documentation in which each documentation update they highlight whatever is or has been updated. In other words certain documentations can get quite colorful with lots of highlighting one entire sections were added in.

image.png.75367e8aa5bca8a86b36cd92b33f4d39.png

image.png.6d61e329670593b5bf3b0edf6e0e4b55.png

That's well handy John. Nice one!