Please help us to Identify this clock

Ebert

Hello all, first of all I'd like to apologize in advance in case I sound completely clueless but I'm not really knowledgeable as far as clocks goes.  A good friend of mine just inherited what seems to be an antique clock his grandfather bought while in France but he does not have much information about it and I was wondering if based on the pictures anyone could give us any information such as possible age, model and manufacturer as well as how is the best way to service it . 
Any information or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you very much 😃

Ebert 

PXL_20231007_123405562~2.jpg

PXL_20231007_144157328.jpg

PXL_20231007_152203234~2.jpg

Hi Ebert,

It's likely to be a Pendule de Paris movement in a spelter case, probably latter 1850-1910. If you can post a picture of the movement (through the door on the back) - it may be possible to narrow down the date a little. I can't find a match for what remains of the name on the dial. Any competent clockmaker will be familiar with these movements.

Jules

• Like 1

It is French and in the style of a French Boulle. I expect it has an 8 day duration movement. The movement should have numbers stamped on the back plate one of the numbers should be the same stamped on the pendulum if so it proves the pendulum is the original one. As others have said we need to see the movement. The hands are original. All that dirt and grime will wash off on the dial.

More photos of the movement please.  

• Like 1

Hello, Boz, Transporter and oldhippy thank you guys very much for shedding some light on it. I will post a picture I have from the back, let's see if it helps, otherwise I can I will try to take a few more once I'm home. I currently live in Singapore. Do you guys believe that could be challenging to find competent professional that could handle this kind of clocks?

PXL_20231008_102203836.jpg

PXL_20231008_102203836~2.jpg

It is French H & F Paris very prolific maker 1850's 1870's. It is a count wheel strike on bell, if you unscrew the bell you might find a stamp mark on the plate. It is absolutely filthy and needs a good service. These a good  quality movements and need to be handled with care. The brass and steel are high grade. The steel pivots are very hard and with out care can break as they are like glass. Any more help just ask. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 5:40 PM, oldhippy said:

It is French H & F Paris very prolific maker 1850's 1870's. It is a count wheel strike on bell, if you unscrew the bell you might find a stamp mark on the plate. It is absolutely filthy and needs a good service. These a good  quality movements and need to be handled with care. The brass and steel are high grade. The steel pivots are very hard and with out care can break as they are like glass. Any more help just ask. 

Thank you so much for all the information! We now feel much more confident about it and we're already looking for a professional with experience to take a look at it. How hard do you believe it would be to replace any pieces if necessary? Again thank you so much for your help!

Hi. I would think a good clean/oil etc would get it working hopefully, parts can be found on eBay either as bits or donor movements for many French clocks. Take care as the pivots will not take any rough handling and are likely to break as Old Hippy said. Lubrication use windles oil it’s the best for clocks.

• Thanks 1

A  professional clock maker with experience will have no trouble at all in undertaking a complete service of such a movement. He will also have the means to obtain basic parts. The clock maker if he has a good equipped workshop should be able to to make parts or he will have contacts who can help him. Make sure he undertakes the basic work such as cleaning on his own premises and doesn't farm out his repairs, ask what type of guarantee  he gives and for what for, it should be at least a complete guarantee for a minimum of 12 months. One last thing have the clock in a place away from artificial heat, away from pets and young children, heat can damage the movement and the case if it were made of wood which yours is not.  Just ask if you need more help

• Thanks 1